• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID Help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Old Gregg

Registered
Im sure this question has been answered a million times but to my dismay I havent found any answers. I have a Crucial C300 SSD and a 1 TB WD caviar blue sata 3 HDD. Which raid configuration if any should I use?

Thanks in advance :thup:

There are many options but the most common, and imo best, answer is to not raid with that setup. Just use the SSD as your boot/system drive and the platter drive as storage.

Win7 has gotten better about people with multiple drives and will allow you to configure your 'libraries' to spots other than the normal ones it likes to just make on the system drive. So you can always set it up, you really want to be using Win7 anyway unless your doing something like Linux/BSD in which case we can go there, such that your media will end up on the platter HD leaving the space on the SSD for apps/games/etc.

Also with that setup you can setup a backup option to the platter HD such that if for whatever reason the SSD fails you would have that. Now if the platter drive fails you don't have really many good options but to make that more robust you'd need more drives and we can again cross that bridge as needed.

Thanks for the input. That is exactly what I had planned but I still dont fully understand the differences between the RAID configs. What would be an ideal setup? Adding one more SSD or HDD? Maybe two SSD's in RAID 0? But where would that leave the HDD? <see it confuses me haha>

RAID does a few things: Gives a storage system higher reliability, higher speed, and higher capacity. Depending on what RAID setup you use you can have one, two, or all three of those things. As such the question is what are you wanting from your storage system?

As to SSDs in a RAID the main thing is right now there are no ways to implement, or at least no ways that I'm aware of, Trim once you do that. Now some people have done it regardless and say it works fine for them. I personally side with having Trim active.

As to SSDs in a RAID the main thing is right now there are no ways to implement, or at least no ways that I'm aware of, Trim once you do that. Now some people have done it regardless and say it works fine for them. I personally side with having Trim active.

I thought native GC worked as well trim as long as the firmware supports it in raid. :eh?:

Back