• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build: GA-870A-UD3 No POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

My friend has just bought a new AM3 motherboard as his old one which was only 9 months old died from ASUS yet I have never liked ASUS boards anyways his specs are as follows.

AMD P-II 945 CPU 95w version
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 board r.2.1
GEIL 4GB DDR3 memory
HD5770 1GB Card
1 DVD-RW
1 Blu Ray
2x 500GB Seagate HDD
Powercool 750w PSU

Now everything is connected all cables everything yet I had noticed the board also requires a 8pin connector and on his PSU it's only got 1x 4 pin. Googling has shown me that some other forums state you dont need an 8 pin cable a 4 pin is all you need. The PC powers up all fans spinning HDD etc yet no screen he hasn't touched the BIOS either.

I reckon its the powercool PSU I've never heard of the brand it says 750w too and yet there's hardly no cables coming out of it fair do's some dont have many but my 550w Corsair has a few and I feel it's not truly 750w.

Any suggestions before he wants me to buy a new PSU for him I've been searching for a branded one a Corsair but thou it says 12v rail not sure if they have 8 or 4 pins????

Pull the board out of the case and set the system up outside of it with bare minimum components. This is to make sure its not grounding out against the case like when you have misplaced stand off on the motherboard tray.

Pull the board out of the case and set the system up outside of it with bare minimum components. This is to make sure its not grounding out against the case like when you have misplaced stand off on the motherboard tray.

Arrrr never thought about that I'll let him know

Thanks

I take it there is not a pc speaker to throw a beep code, I just got my 955BE in today and received my TA890FXE back from RMA. I always put my rig together first on the motherboard box and test it before I put everything in the case.

The first couple of times I tried powering mine up there was a small flicker on the screen but nothing after that (I should have known to hook a pc speaker up) anyway I powered it down and moved the video card around since I figured that is what the problem was and gave it another try and she fired right up. I have had this happen several times in the past as well so don't be surprised if all it needs is the GPU reseated.

Also is he using the PWM fan for the cpu?

I take it there is not a pc speaker to throw a beep code, I just got my 955BE in today and received my TA890FXE back from RMA. I always put my rig together first on the motherboard box and test it before I put everything in the case.

The first couple of times I tried powering mine up there was a small flicker on the screen but nothing after that (I should have known to hook a pc speaker up) anyway I powered it down and moved the video card around since I figured that is what the problem was and gave it another try and she fired right up. I have had this happen several times in the past as well so don't be surprised if all it needs is the GPU reseated.

Also is he using the PWM fan for the cpu?

It's now working apparently some cables where loose??? which ones I do not know I have still told hime to buy a branded PSU because I still have never heard of Powercool in my life it goes up there with my impuse buy last year I bought a so called 850w mod PSU from ActivePower yet you can find squat about them.

He's using the stock Cooler for his AMD CPU but now it's fine I knew it would be something small thats causing it.

Last edited:
I have this motherboard. Works like a champ, Not real happy with their placement of SATA ports, but then again its not designed for multi-gpu use, so I'll live with it.
I'm using a Kingwin Lazer 1000W and it has the 8 pin. Its also modular. Man I looovveee modular. If you or he can afford it, go modular because cable management is so simple and easy. :D

Back