• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dedicated Folding Day?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BEEAH

Just wondered if it is a good idea to schedule a day in the near future(Weekend? A Sunday?) to have set aside for an all folding day. To basically try and top our most productive day. Everyone involved pulls out all the stops, squeezes that last few cycles out of their clocks that they can. Have a post in the general forums to try and recrute a few extra people. Even if we had non folders join for just that day to add to the pile of points? Maybe the last Sunday of every month?

Fire everything up, eePC's HTPC's, PS3's, laptops, borrow the GF's PC, hell even your moms 486! :comp:

I have not seen a way to look at the backlog for daily team scoring but the largest single day of production listed on the main teams screen shows:
03.08.11 Points-6,328,319 WUs-3,828

I think it could be fun, something to keep it exciting and drive up our team score. Does the forum have a chat room option? Would be fun to be connected like that as well.

Eh? Yea? No? Already been suggested?

Last edited:
I'm down. :beer: Even though I don't have much hardware to offer and I'm at 95% of my maximum production rate 24/7 already... The thing is, I don't know how productive it is trying to get all those -bigadv WU's to finish on the same day as they take usually take more than 1 day to complete.

I figured that for alot of you guys. =)

Just may be fun to put up a huge number on a single day and to help promote folding. Make that OC.net team go :-/

I would be interested. I dont fold at 100% capacity all the time so it would be fun to go full tilt on the same day as everyone else

Not sure how much us Bigadv guys could actually help. I have had a couple of million point days, but it just depends on when they finish. Plus I have some machines already running in the 90c range anyways. I push them any harder and they start thermal throttling.

I'm "IN"! I have few GPU's not running, because they are old and slow and slow my bigadv down. I was thinking of running them again until it get hot anyway.

The Team 32 -bigadv challenge?

Not sure how much us Bigadv guys could actually help. I have had a couple of million point days, but it just depends on when they finish. Plus I have some machines already running in the 90c range anyways. I push them any harder and they start thermal throttling.

I was thinking like a -bigadv "personal best" type of contest or something. I need a couple days to do a -bigadv, so a Friday-Monday weekend type thing would work for something like that. or else a "Machine 1" contest would be kind of cool too..:D

-TG

Just be sure you don't OC into that unfortunate region where you spend the time and power but end up with a dead WU at the end of it. That's the only real downside to this sort of thing.

Give me a day and prod the 2600k that is coming tomorrow into action for the 48h or so surrounding that day!

here's an idea.. why not make it a dedicated week? :shrug:

Get'n my VM -bigadv back up and running as we speak.. although it will be going 24/7 anyway.. only slowed down by gaming sessions here and there :thup:

2600K @ 4.6 with 2133 c7 ram running full tilt on a VMP 3.0 Ubuntu setup :D

here's an idea.. why not make it a dedicated week? :shrug:

The week think may work because of the issue of when WUs finish. I didn't think about stuff like that as I am fairly new. Pick a date a few weeks out and start promoting the thing? I'll bring my GF's machine over and load up my PS3. They may only be a little but this the point. Give people time to see what else they can do to get ready.

Best single week of folding? :D

My initial thought was, I'm dedicated already and we can pick any day and I'm 100% dedicated. But that's not strictly true. I have a gtx260 not folding as well as an ATI 3850, 8800GT in a Linux box, and a 8800GS in a Linux box, so I could get a little more out of things. Sadly all of the cards are installed in machines that have their SMP production hammered by the introduction of a GPU instance. I might have a net gain of 5000 ppd at a cost of 460 Watts. Not very good.

I like the week deal better, I miche even crank up a few classic clients for that.

I don't think you should worry ChasR. I think this is more intended to get some more n00bs to drink our coolaid :D

We need to get ALL of the benching team folding on that sweet hardware :sn:

lol

also, I suggest maybe we shoot for the first week of april.. It will give us time to get some "shoutouts" to other forums peeps and possibly friends/family.. and Blow the 1's-8th out of the water. Or however they breakup the weeks according to results/turn-ins

Lets say first full week in April? Monday April 4th at 12:00AM have everything fired up you can get your hands on, I'm talking everything. It will run until Sunday April 10th at 11:59PM. This gives people over 3 weeks to get ready for the war. What do we call this first attempt? Folding@Home Battle Week I 2011? :salute:

So, which of you folding celebs wants to push this call to arms and help get the word out to the rest of the community?

Need to inform people about programs such as www.logmein.com and how easy it is to use. I'll be controlling at least 2 remote PC's with this myself.

:rock:

Last edited:
Back