• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

790FX-GD70 O/C Knob?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fntastiK

Hello,

Im bulding a computer right now and I'm a bit curious about the O/C knob feature. Raise the FSB with the onboard knob? Did anyone know if I can disable this feature?

The problem with those one step overclock schemes, whether they are in the bios or a hardware knob like this one is they don't manipulate enough variables at a time to give a good high, stable overclock. Typically, they only manipulate the fsb. But what about the CPU voltage, the CPU-NB voltage, the HT Link and the NB frequency, the ram divider, the ram voltage, and ram timings? Being able to adjust all these things together as CPU frequency increases is necessary to good overclocking. Sorry, but the knob is just a cute variation on auto overclocking which is frowned on around here. Actually, software overclocking is better than this knob thing but software overclocking has limitations too. The only real way to effectively overclock is to learn how to use the bios manual settings.

The problem with those one step overclock schemes, whether they are in the bios or a hardware knob like this one is they don't manipulate enough variables at a time to give a good high, stable overclock. Typically, they only manipulate the fsb. But what about the CPU voltage, the CPU-NB voltage, the HT Link and the NB frequency, the ram divider, the ram voltage, and ram timings? Being able to adjust all these things together as CPU frequency increases is necessary to good overclocking. Sorry, but the knob is just a cute variation on auto overclocking which is frowned on around here. Actually, software overclocking is better than this knob thing but software overclocking has limitations too. The only real way to effectively overclock is to learn how to use the bios manual settings.
Well said! :thup:

Yes...

^^ +1 FTW...

Yes I know all that and of course its just a gimmic. But my question is, can It be disabled or can I do my overclock directly in the BIOS without using that thingy?

Yes I know all that and of course its just a gimmic. But my question is, can It be disabled or can I do my overclock directly in the BIOS without using that thingy?

It wont stop you from overclocking manually. It must be enabled in BIOS in order for it to start overclocking.

Oh ok then. I won't bother with it. Its a work computer (graphic design) I just wanted to get to 1050T a little bit higher, like 3,4Gghz. It's also cooled with an H50.

Back