• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

have some distilled water left over - ionized?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mxthunder

hey guys, I bought some primoflex tubing to replace the crap that my XSPC kit came with, my question is, I still have 3/4 gallon of distilled water left over from ~2 months ago. It was not exposed to any major sunlight, and was basically capped and put in the closet after I setup my water rig. Would it still be OK to use, or is it ionized or whatever now?

Thanks,

It might be ok to use, but another gallon is like $0.87, so why not just play it safe and buy more

It's fine. As long as you didn't contaminate it with anything and it wasn't exposed to the air for any particular length of time, it's still deionized.

BUT- for less than a dollar, who cares? Why be 99.99999% safe when you can be 100% safe?

I'll say it's good. Your adding boicide I'm sure so it won't hurt at all. If anything the PH changed ohh so little being exposed to air, which it does when added to a loop anyway.

Yep, I do this all the time and it does no harm. Like Con said, after a few passes in your loop it's no longer deionized or pure anyways and you are running either biocide or silver or both in your loop, so no creepy crawlies will grow.

I guess at the moment I was feeling too lazy to go to the store, but now the wife wants stuff from the drug store, so ill get a bottle of wine and a gallon of water, spend the night working on my loop!
Thx!

It's just water, you can use it.
It's already been sitting in a bottle for a month or twelve before it hit the store shelves anyway.

It won't be ion-free (it never was ion-free, really) for more then ten minutes in your loop anyway.
As long as it doesn't have chunks in it or something, it's 100% safe just like it was when you first used it.

Just remember, wine probably won't work in your system. Don't get that confused ;)

I am sure it has other uses for helping with the build.:p

As long as there is nothing floating in the water, and it doesn't look cloudy, I think you should be OK to use it in your loop. The important thing is having a biocide or some silver in your loop to combat the bugs, like mudd mentioned.:thup:

Yeah, got some biocide from frozencpu, works great, 2 drops does the job. My loop looks great now with some new clear primochill tubing!

The only thing the wine turned out to be good for was helping me to spill water all over my video card when I tipped the PC without thinking about what might come out of the radiator! All is well though...

Back