• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with diagnostics, HDD or software problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lahlahlahliz

I posted this in the storage section because I think it's related to my HDD, but I'm not positive, or I wouldn't be here.

So, I finally decided to suck it up and build my own computer - mainly for web design. This is my setup:

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 530W Power Supply
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 2TB Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1333C9
HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB Video Card
BIOSTAR H55A+ LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI ATX Intel Motherboard

My problem is that randomly my hdd light goes off and stays off, I usually notice the light off before I notice the computer isn't working. I can't use anything on my computer, it's basically frozen. All fans and case lights are on, and my mouse moves, but I can't click on anything.. Though, the keyboard doesn't work nor does the sound. I can't figure out what's going on, but I'm also pretty new at all of this.. I can't stay on the computer at all. I've tried to reinstall windows several times, but nothing's changed. The temp of the computer hasn't went above 120F when this happens.

I had linux on the PC for a few weeks, and it never froze. As soon as I started using W7, it started freezing again, less frequently this time. Sometimes, it'll just be idling, sometimes it'll be while I'm playing a game or doing school work.
#1 I'm pretty sure it's not the ram. Memtest86 results came back as passes, I believe.
#2 I did the whole Prime testing. (Prime95) I've ran several tests for a total of about 24 hours and I haven't had any fails yet.
#3 I got a new PSU, so I've eliminated that as an option.
#4 The hard drive worked fine on Linux, though I'm sure that Linux and Windows store differently and place data differently on the HDD, so there's still a possibility it's the HDD. But I'd like to rule out any options at this point.
#5 I've updated my BIOS, and I have all drivers installed for all hardware, and all of the latest W7 updates.
#6 - I also synced my RAM timings.

Any input?

Welcome!!!

Here is to hoping that raidmax is one of their better ones and not a pSU that takes out the whole PC...Raidmax PSU are generally garbage.

With that out of the way, does the hDD activity never come back? Im wondering if it powers down... do you hear/feel it spinning? Try to disable all power saving functions for the HDD and see if that helps.

Welcome!!!

Here is to hoping that raidmax is one of their better ones and not a pSU that takes out the whole PC...Raidmax PSU are generally garbage.

With that out of the way, does the hDD activity never come back? Im wondering if it powers down... do you hear/feel it spinning? Try to disable all power saving functions for the HDD and see if that helps.

As far as the power supply, this is my second one. Lol, so that definitely verifies your accusation. However, I had this problem with the first one and with this one, so I don't think it's something to do with the PSU, although I'm sure it's possible.

I don't hear or feel the HDD spinning or clicking ever, not even when it freezes, or is about to freeze. There are no warning signs, and I can't figure out what exactly makes it freeze; there's nothing specifically that I notice every time it happens.

I have a final exam in class today, so after that, I'll turn the power saving functions off and report back.

Edit:

Oh, and thanks for the welcome! :)

Last edited:
Welcome!!!

Okay, I checked, and it's not supposed to power down ever.

Try a different RAM test, like Gold Memory, because it sometimes finds errors missed by MemTest86/86+, just as the latter sometime find errors missed by Gold Memory. Test overnight, not just a few hours.

Was your Samsung HD204UI flashed with the firmware upgrade that fixes problems with queued commands? The upgrade doesn't change the firmware version number.

Try a lower power graphics card, in case both PSUs are too weak.

Back