• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Opinon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dan_ep82

Hi,
Just finished my first overclock on my neqw rig that I built and wanted to get some opinons

I spent a full day reading different guides etc last week and a few hours here and there but I'd just like to know if i done it right,and safe.

It took about 3hours to get it to 3.6GHz yesterday using the multiplier ,stock FSB and Volts @45°D torture test for 25minutes using Prime95

Today I spent another 5hours with alot of adjusting
Got it to 4.0GHz using
Multiplier (20x 200FSB)
V.Core 1.42500
Other Volts Stock
47-48°D CPU Temp Under Load
34°D CPU Temp Idle
24°D MB Temp
Torture Test using Prime95 for 30minutes

Validation

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

systemCPU-Z40GHz.png

Thanks

Dan

Looks like a nice overclock to me, but are you sure about those temps?

They were obtained with the CPU unlocked to 4 cores, correct?

You know that the temps that are reported when a CPU has had additional cores unlocked are almost always inaccurate, right?

What temp monitoring program are you using?

Need more information here.

Looks like a nice overclock to me, but are you sure about those temps?

They were obtained with the CPU unlocked to 4 cores, correct?

You know that the temps that are reported when a CPU has had additional cores unlocked are almost always inaccurate, right?

What temp monitoring program are you using?

Need more information here.
Yep,I did the best i could with what I could find,or at least i think so,i am a bit new to this lol

The only program i could get to read the CPU temp was ASUS PC Probe that came with my board.It reads the same idle in the bios as the pc probe.

That would be CPU socket temps, however, not core temps. Core temps are the critical ones as they come from a place internal to the CPU. So called "CPU" temps are measured from a sensor embeded in the socket/motherboard. Usually, however, CPU temps are a little higher than core temps (but there are exceptions). A free program called "HWMonitor" will give you both.

That would be CPU socket temps, however, not core temps. Core temps are the critical ones as they come from a place internal to the CPU. So called "CPU" temps are measured from a sensor embeded in the socket/motherboard. Usually, however, CPU temps are a little higher than core temps (but there are exceptions). A free program called "HWMonitor" will give you both.

Hi,
Thanks for the advice
Can't make out the core temps from the program,could you point it out?
HWmonitor.png

The first set of temps matches my MB and CPU temps on PCProbe

Thanks
Dan

Well, if you are operating with unlocked cores you won't get core temps because the unlocking technology interferes with reading the sensors.

^ what trents said. I'm not sure if it was worth it to save a whopping 50 dollars. In the week that I did not have temps, I purchased more than 50 dollars worth of temperature sensing stuff. But at least I have an IR thermometer now. Now I can get the temperature of the inside of my oven while cooking a roast.

Back