• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wired or wireless security/surveillance, your opinion needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbohans

Ok, I am looking into network-able cameras and possibly gadgets. I will be using ISpy as the software for my cameras/microphones/etc.:sn:

These IP cameras seem a little complex and expensive, and I aim to buy around three with a budget of 300~400usd.:thup:

I have a wireless router and all that, just looking for input on these cameras. :comp:

So, If you awesome people have any opinion on any of these, or these, please let me know.

haha! and here is a super-short video I did testing out the software with my laptop webcam.

Last edited:
Security.. I use wired when possible. Wireless is to hop over obstacles or through walls. I just can't hole through or around.. If applicable, secure the wiring.
i.e. The outbuilding garage out back. There would be no way to run a wire to it. So wireless for that device would be good.
Pulling CAT up/out of the rafters/basement, to the camera locations as I could.

Wired = More cost, due to cabling and installing the runs.
Wireless = Cheaper, install device and attach to network.

Wired is perfectly fine with me, I would almost prefer it. seem like it would be safer and easier to set up. Where I would be setting these up would most likely be within 30' or so of my router and concealable in the drop ceiling i have. So maybe even cheaper that route?

I assume most of these have IP's and settup pages like routers and modems do right? Thats kinda what I was getting at with my curiosity.

Wireles is usually cheaper. I ntime and material... Cabling does cost... Wireless is one thing and attach it.. Wireless. I myself, think wired is about as secure as you can get consumer wise... No interceptions.. Unless you physically tap it.

From my understanding of IP Cameras... Limited..

Each device is on the network as a unique part of the network. i.e. - 192.168.1.x 1-255 maybe w/ a ported subnet suffix. Which may look like 192.168.1.x 1-255:8008

There would have to be some main controller PVR application. Be it webpage based or an application, same ends... Hiding the fact each device is unique.
As for setting up each unique device, it would be per the platform you are buying into.
Unless you of course do it manually. Most camera kits come with what hides the fact it is a subnet of your LAN. Allowing you to port in ans observe it remotely. Via the hardware supplying company and a special login webpage or application.

Last edited:
Sounds good, I really appreciate your input! Ill do a little digging and keep you and anyone interested posted on any cameras I start thinking about buying.

If It all works out like I'm thinking it should be pretty awesome and cheap!

One thing I'm still undecided on is some kinda remote archiving,, I'm thinking something along the lines of a network storage device that I could put in a "black box" hidden somewhere. hehe In case someone steals my computer itself. LOL

It may be off topic, but I remember seeing some DVR/Camera combos and remembering that it seemed like a really cool idea. Maybe something you would be interested in looking at?

not really off topic at all, seems with the prices on most of these camera's It might be cheaper. That I'm not sure about yet though. I just always feel better when I try to make use of what I already have, but function does not always follow form. However, In this case I see quite a bit of potential going the software/LAN route, especially with the storage capacity that could easily be had, and the abilities of this software I have elected to experiment with.

so far I'm looking at these two camera's; this cheap-o Plustek and this pricey Logitech one. If the Plustek worked out that would be awesome! I'm a big boy, reviews of items on Newegg don't scare me. I also have my router running dd-wrt, witch may prove useful in setting up these cheap-o cameras. I will probably just order one of those Plustek's just to try out at first, can just return it most likley if it wants to be a PITA. :beer:

Last edited:
Well, as a little update. Last night we had a break-in in my shop and sombody ended up taking a $10k Snap-On Solaris scanner. :( Sooo,, I am looking at all-in-one setups for that location and still planning on some crazy LAN cameras for my house.

This will definitely give me the opportunity to evaluate and compare both setups. Just wish I had started this project earlier now. :rain:

Well, as a little update. Last night we had a break-in in my shop and sombody ended up taking a $10k Snap-On Solaris scanner. :( Sooo,, I am looking at all-in-one setups for that location and still planning on some crazy LAN cameras for my house.

This will definitely give me the opportunity to evaluate and compare both setups. Just wish I had started this project earlier now. :rain:

Ouch! Them snapon tools are expensive lol my dads shop has the less fancy model and it was 3600 without all the adapters lol
But good luck hope you catchem if it happens again! But I hope it don't

Oh yeaaa, we figured out who it was... No fun keeping stuff like that from walking off!! MY step-dad was running this shop before he died of lung cancer. Now we let his worker lease it seeing as its next to my moms house, but without my step-dad around its hard to say if things are staying where they should.

Wow. Talk about coincidence! Your gut was right all along!
Well, with all the details coincidence turns into foresight.

Its a goofy situation because we have all these expensive tools over there, and my pride and joy of a computer here.
We need to keep the shop going for extra income, but that requires leasing it out and gutting it of tools is not easy!
There is no internet over there so a DVR system would be optimal. However where my computer is set up I have DOCSIS-3 and host websites so a LAN/Software solution will be optimal. Sooo, I am going to probably invest in two totally different systems here within a month and after I do I will compare them for you guys. ;)

And on a side note, I'm also looking into LAN camera's for my computer setup that I might be able to do a live feed with on a website.

Last edited:
Back