• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do copper vga coolers still exist?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

I know it may seem dumb to some, but i prefer the look and effiency of using copper aftermarket coolers. I'm a bit bummed out for the lack of copper vga coolers in the current generation of cooling solutions. All Ive seen is the msi gtx 560 twin frzer2 golden edition, or is there more? I also would like to keep with my theme. I have a TRUE Copper and a thermalright copper cooler on my physx card a 9800 gt.

The only really exposed coolers now are Thermalright. Big, cool, add your own fans. They went to nickle coating. Doesn't tarnish and works just as well. Pretty sure all the others got smart too.

Heatpipes by and large removed the need for a large array of copper fins, they can use the far cheaper alternative of aluminum fins now, as the heatpipes will conduct the heat out to the aluminum.

Heatpipes by and large removed the need for a large array of copper fins, they can use the far cheaper alternative of aluminum fins now, as the heatpipes will conduct the heat out to the aluminum.

Sure, but wouldn't it be more efficient - thus smaller if needed - if it were built with copper?:shrug:

heatpipes are so insanely efficient that I'm gonna have to go with no, being able to distribute the heat where you want it in the fins, even at a very small loss in terms of transfer, is gonna be the superior method.

They would, but copper costs four to six times as much as aluminum.
The manufacturers would have to charge five times as much for the cooler with 10% more performance.

Copper is also more than 3x as dense, and given the size of most heatsinks these days...2kg of weight on a heatsink is not exactly a desirable characteristic :p

Copper is also more than 3x as dense, and given the size of most heatsinks these days...2kg of weight on a heatsink is not exactly a desirable characteristic :p

My computer does weigh a ton with a TRUE Copper 120. But its worth it...:salute:

Back