• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SB Rig, GPU Nightmare!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlubbyDG

Registered
Specs:
Asus p8p67 Pro,
i5-2500k
Corsair TX750
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1600
SeaGate Barracuda 1tb 7200
PNY Geforce GTX 570
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OEM

Monitor connects to the GTX 570 with a DVI-VGA adapter, all is well until Nvidia drivers are installed.

Windows reboots (no BSOD, even with auto-reboot disabled) immediately after clicking "log in".
Starting in Safe Mode allows me to disable Nvidia drivers, which returns things to normal.
Gaming this way is obviously out of the question (aside from Solitaire and Minesweeper).

Things I tried:
  • Installed ALL Windows 7 updates, including SP 1
  • Updated all chip-set drivers
  • Uninstalled Nvidia drivers and clean install from website
  • Uninstalled Nvidia drivers and let windows Auto install them
  • Uninstalled Nvidia drivers and clean install various older versions
  • Try install from GPU included CD, failed. Message: "incompatible w/ display adapter"
  • Remove 570, installed my old 9600 GT. Windows starts, but crashes upon starting game (BSOD).
  • Switched the 9600 GT to the second PCI slot: same results.

Things I haven't tried:
  • Reinstall Windows 7
  • RMA Motherboard and/or GPU
  • Throw entire PC out the ****ing window!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, been troubleshooting this crap for the last 3 days now!

EDIT: CPU temps all seem to be fine, and I doubt GPU overheats at login.

Last edited:
You lost me at activating anything other than vga adapter crashes windows

What does that mean??

570 won't fit what?

I'm tired or your post is confusing. I know the first is true. The second may or may not be true and only coffee and sleep will allow me to determine that.

Please provide a different explanation hopefully we can help.

@ OcNoob: Okay, edited original post to be more clear.

I had misused the term "VGA".
I meant that everything displayed properly on the monitor while it was plugged into the GPU with a DVI-to-VGA adapter, prior to installing additional drivers.

"570 won't fit" meant that I tried moving the 9600 GT to the other PCI slot, but could not try the same with the GTX 570 as it was simply too big to fit in that part of the case. I suppose I could move the HD to make room, but as the 9600 GT failed in both slots I doubt it would be worth the hassle.

Last edited:
OK so boot into windows in safe mode and uninstall the last drivers you installed and see if that fixes it (hit F8 before windows starts to bring up the menu to select safe mode)

if that doesn't work you just reinstall windows and don't do whatever you did that caused the issue as it sounds like a driver conflict. The windows in safe mode thing is a good first step.

Might be able to save your butt with system restore/driver uninstall.

It sounds like you are having a problem when the cards switch to higher "performance mode". Is you power supply adequate or failing? Most cards draw a lot more power when they switch from simple vga mode to "performance mode".

Absent that, you could try a reinstall of Win 7 or directX.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
PSU is a brand spankin' new Corsair TX750, so there shouldn't be any problem there, right?

What should the average voltage be for an i5-2500k? Is there a diagnostic tool to see how much the GPU is using?

Also, reinstalled Windows and tried installing Nvidia drivers before anything else, no luck. Guess I'll try again installing after everything else.

are you running your memory in 1600 mode with XMP? If so, try dropping it to 1333.

Okay, tried that. No luck.

You sure every single power connection is totally snugged in? Because this problem you're having is really quite odd..

I also tried switching PSUs, absolutely no difference (and double checked all plugs, made sure they were in securely).

I switched to a Radeon card and couldn't even boot, got the beep code for problem with display circuitry.

Okay, tried that. No luck.

I also tried switching PSUs, absolutely no difference (and double checked all plugs, made sure they were in securely).

I switched to a Radeon card and couldn't even boot, got the beep code for problem with display circuitry.

sounds like mobo, but if theres no loss of vital data, maybe reinstall windows first.

Not odd at all.

First reset CMOS.

Second video card is in top pcie 16x slot yes?

thirdly. NO OTHER VIDEO CARDS installed.

4thly, single monitor

5thly.. do not use a VGA adapter on the nvidia 500 series if it came with one (mine did not ) maybe that should work. 3rd party ones do not. At best you get streaky weird looking result at worst you get no screen at all. aTI DVI to HDMI will work though and pass through audio should your monitor support it :)

Nvidia is big on features but if you are used to ATI cards and their advanced feature set, nvidia cards might be a let down. nvidia is for gamers, better FPS, but there is a reason i use my 6850 not my 580 for my gamer. (multi mon being paramount)

EDIT: Not saying nVidia is bad, just not meant for nongamers or multi tasking gamers IMHO.

Last edited:
First reset CMOS.

Okay, reset the CMOS.
The following boot takes me to BIOS, but all attempts afterwards get stuck in an infinate boot loop.
Now I need to fix that before tackling the other problem.

Also, would the VGA adapter really be able to explain a windows crash? How would the system even know I was using it? I kind of need it, as my moniter is kind of old and doesn't take other cables.

It almost sounds like you have a bad/corrupt hard drive. If you get past BIOS but the OS keeps rebooting I'd check the hard drive.

EDIT: On my new SB system I ended up doing a full format reinstall. I corrupted my boot SSD when I did a SATA controler driver update.

Last edited:
If you get past BIOS but the OS keeps rebooting I'd check the hard drive.

I tried completely disconnecting the hard drive and disk drive, so there's absolutely nothing but the motherboard, processor and display card. Still gets stuck in the loop, meaning the computer just "starts up" then turns off repeatedly until I shut off the power, nothing shows up on moniter.

I can reset CMOS to get back into Bios, but I have absolutely no idea what to do to fix this. I have the almost newest version of Bios, the most current (which I haven't flashed yet) is this fix: 1. Fix system maybe hang if the NEC Chip F/W is broken.

Should I install this? Does it even apply to my rig?

Starting to regret building and not just ordering a pre-assembled...

I tried completely disconnecting the hard drive and disk drive, so there's absolutely nothing but the motherboard, processor and display card. Still gets stuck in the loop, meaning the computer just "starts up" then turns off repeatedly until I shut off the power, nothing shows up on moniter.

I can reset CMOS to get back into Bios, but I have absolutely no idea what to do to fix this. I have the almost newest version of Bios, the most current (which I haven't flashed yet) is this fix: 1. Fix system maybe hang if the NEC Chip F/W is broken.

Should I install this? Does it even apply to my rig?

Starting to regret building and not just ordering a pre-assembled...
I'd do a google search on that BIOS update text to see what it means.

You do have your CPU fan plugged into the four pin header right? I am not sure if the BIOS would prevent a boot becasue it didn't detect a spinning fan but it's possible.

The CPU may not be seated in the socket 100% or a socket pin could be bent. Check that last after you look into the BIOS and fan.

Did you try removing all but one RAM stick and booting right? You can also move that one stick around to see if you have a bad dimm slot and also try different RAM to see if you have a bad stick.

It's possible that you unfortunately got a bad motherboard. :(

Try pulling the ram and running only one stick. Get into BIOS set your RAM settings and Vccio, then reset. Power down and add the second stick.

EDIT: What Owenator said :)

The CPU may not be seated in the socket 100% or a socket pin could be bent.

Keep in mind that until clearing CMOS, I had Windows 7 installed, was browsing the web and all that. Is that possible with improperly placed CPU or bent pin, or can I rule that out?

see if you have a bad dimm slot and also try different RAM to see if you have a bad stick.

Both Windows 7 and BIOS detected the full 4gb of ram before clearing CMOS, so again, can I rule out that as the problem?

It's possible that you unfortunately got a bad motherboard.

That's seeming more and more likely, but why on earth would everything function fine except Nvidia drivers...this just makes no sense to me, though I'm still new to all this.

EDIT: Gonna try the one stick thing now, thanks for all the help. Will (unfortunately) probably be back on this thread again soon...

Last edited:
Back