• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I3-530 P55 gaming question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EezurpaiN

Hello,
I recently built a budget computer with a 530 on a p55 ftw motherboard. Although this chip is only a temporary solution I thought the 530 would have enough juice to game on. Currently it is oc'd to 4010 MHz but I hit 100% CPU usage frequently while gaming. I this common for this chip or is there something I am missing? This is running windows7 and the rest of the computer is in my sig. Any help is appreciated.

That chip doesn't have many threads so it'll be more stressed when gaming than say a Core i7. But no CPU really should be a 100% when gaming. Game's stress the GPU 100%, and usually use a little CPU but nothing major. If you are gaming fine then don't worry but I wouldn't say it should be that normal. Do you have the CPU selected for PhysX in Nvidia control panel?

depends on the resolution as well that your gaming at. some games will rely more on the CPU then the GPU. Take CSS for instance its FPS is more dependent on the CPU speed then the GPU. as i went from a ATI 4850 to a GT430, massive performance difference in other games. though in CSS my FPS is still the same even with the engine updates. i still see 200+.

what other programs do you have in the background? another thing is even with a i3 at 4ghz with your current GPU, your already getting the most out of the GPU you can based on the cpu clock speed.

That chip doesn't have many threads so it'll be more stressed when gaming than say a Core i7. But no CPU really should be a 100% when gaming. Game's stress the GPU 100%, and usually use a little CPU but nothing major. If you are gaming fine then don't worry but I wouldn't say it should be that normal. Do you have the CPU selected for PhysX in Nvidia control panel?

Now that you mention that it seems I do remember it saying that in the nvidia control panel. I don't know why it selected this but I will fix it when I get home.

Back