• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU goes 100%, but only after alt+tab? :P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cardiac.canvas

Long time reader, first time posting. You guys are an awesome resource so thanks in advance.

The question I have today has to do with my EVGA GTX 570. When I initially boot up games (SC2, Mirrors Edge, Deadspace 2, Crysis) card runs with decent fps, runs cool, etc etc. HOWEVER! If I tab out of the game back to windows, upon resume my card will go from like 50% usage, to 90-100% usage, stays under 70c, and my frames, particularly is crysis, go from like 33 ish to 45 ish on all max settings.

Why doesn't the card automatically perform at max like that all the time, and why the heck does tabbing out to my desktop and then back to game cause it to be fully utilized?

Is there any danger to a card running 100% in games, and if not anybody know a fix so it will without having to alt+tab every time I boot up a game?

Thanks again for reading ya'll. Any input much appreciated.

-CC

There is a known bug in Crysis for wide screen monitors like 1920x1080 where you have to tab out or hit alt+enter to refresh the screen and get rid of the black boarder. I bet it has something to do with that but I don't see a performance change like you are. Try clearing out your drivers and installing a fresh current driver set. You should also see if you have the latest patch for Crysis installed.

Thanks King. I have of course done a clean install of all display drivers and reinstalled/updated my games.

I had heard it was an issue that crysis would decline steadily in FPS until you tabbed out and then it would jump back up. The odd part is that it happens the same in my other games? *SHRUG*

There's no harm in running a video card at 100% for extended periods of time, provided that the temperature stays within reasonable levels.

That's basically what benchmarking tools are designed to do.

No, hes saying that it doesn't run at 100% until he tabs out... and you got me, I've never seen that issue before but it definitely sounds like it would be driver related. Might also try to see if the games are completely updated and try updating your chipset drivers as well.... IDK grasping at straws here...

Back