• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KR7A problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=A][A=-cazman

Ok I had some problems with my I-will KA266 MB so I decided to get the abit KR7A. When I got it I transfered all my stuff from my old MB and put it on the abit. Then upon booting up for the 1st time I went into the BIOS to set my CPU speed since there isn't any jumpers on the board. While setting that up I noticed the screed started to shake a bit like when you have a EMF next to the monitor and I couldn't get out of the BIOS it froze. After I turned it off I smelled a nasty smell which at 1st I thought was from a new fan I put in but it came from my CPU. So my CPU is toasty and I'm wondering how that could've happened. Is this an issue with the abit boards? I didn't see any jumpers on the board for changing any settings like voltage and fsb and multi. So I'm wondering why the heck would my CPU blow up so soon????

I put a heatsink on but no thermal compound cuz I just wanted it to bootup 1st and then I was gonna check some other things out. But even without the thermal compound it shouldn't have blown that quickly I mean it was like 15 secs with a swiftech MCX370 w/ DELTA 38CFM Fan 7000RPM. So in my mind it shouldn't have blown that quick.

P.S. I ordered a XP1600+ any tips on how I should put it in so that one doesn't blow?

My advice is to always use thermal compound. you easily could have had a problem with the placement of the heatsink. If it is not totaly flat and you do not use compound then your risk of frying your cpu goes way up. Sorry to hear about your loss though.

i would guess you forgot to plug in the fan, weve all down it once or twice, i ran an xp1800 to bios crash whille testing a mobo, kuckily it was ok,

yeah but the funny thing was I had the heatsink fan plugged in and it was running. The only thing I can think of is that it needed that thermal compound......but I still can't believe it blew that quick for not having that on. Oh well I get my new CPU tomorrow so we shall see how it works :)

OK....... I must take my time on this post cuz I'm really annoyed. Got my CPU today and put it in with that AS3 thermal compound. Hooked everything up and turned on the power. I get nothing .....absolutely nothing I have many case fans in the case and they don't even turn on. But there is a LED on the MB that tells you when the power is connected. I hooked up the Power on and reset switch stuff right I checked it many a times. So I thought maybe the switch was bad so I hooked up the reset switch to it and still nothing.......so it's not the switches. So then I took out everything but the vid card and the power to it and the MB. Still nothing so I took out a stick of ram .......same. I tried swapping the other stick in nothing. So what I'm thinking is that somehow my MB is bad has any1 had any problems with their KR7A? Am I the only one that seemed to have had a bad MB right off the get go? Well anyways I'd really appreciate some insight on this matter.

P.S. it wouldn't let me say peeved or another form of it.....sorry didn't know that was considered a bad word.

Looks like youe gone thru most of the possible routes. Here is a few that might help you narrow it down;

1. Try the new chip on another MoBo that is sure to support the XP CPU & every component(ram, video card, PSU);

2. The MCX370 uses a spring loaded clip so it would be wise to check if it is on tight enough;

3. LAST RESORT is to try a working CPU on your KR7A. I may sound overly cautious with this but you dont want to fry your friends CPU.

If everything in checks out in steps 1 & 2 then it's definitely the MoBo & there would be no reason to try step 3.

LOOK HERE for some clues on your problems. Are you from the UK?

PAUL is a good place to look for more information.

Post back with your findings & lets get your system running soon:beer:

OK after many hours of searching I found out what the problem was. I kinda feel dumb or green but the CMOS jumper was still set to clear mode. I checked it before and there is no Pin 1 on the MB only in the manual. So when I looked at the manual and then at the MB it looked to me that it was set up right. But after I got it booted up it didn't like having 98se on their already. I spent lots of time trying to get it to work but it was stuck in a loop of finding plug and play devices and then giving me a registry error or explorer error and reboot and start the process again.

So I decided to format my HD and put win2k on. It was going smoothly until the last part of the installation where it goes through and installs the COM+ parts. At that point it gave me a nice blue screen of death. For some reason thats the same blue screen that has happened to me before when I tried to install win2k on my old stuff (old MB cpu HD). So I said the heck with it and tried to put win98se back on. And now it's giving me that nice registry error after I boot up after a clean format and install of 98se. So I'm wondering what the heck I'm doing wrong here. Should I try and install the 4in1 drivers right away? I was trying to shy away from those cuz I thought they were part of my problem on the 1st install of the MB. Well anyways I'm just wondering if some of those 4in1 drivers are screwed up or not.

P.S. I don't want winXP yet cuz I have the voodoo 5 5500 and it doesn't have a driver for winXP.

-=A][A=-cazman said:
.....CMOS jumper was still set to clear mode.....
That would really put a damper on things:D
-=A][A=-cazman said:
Should I try and install the 4in1 drivers right away? I was trying to shy away from those cuz I thought they were part of my problem on the 1st install of the MB. Well anyways I'm just wondering if some of those 4in1 drivers are screwed up or not.
I always install my 4in1s ASAP & Ive only used 4.31 & 4.32 for W98SE. You can probably use 4.34 but anything higher & W98SE doesnt seem to like it.

1. How old is the HDD?

2. Is your W98SE CD "clean"?

3. Are you installing on an O/Ced machine?

4. Do you have any heat issues?

PS I'm shooting in the dark here

The HD is pretty much new. You see IBM had an issue with the 40gig's having probs. So I sent mine in and they sent me a brand new 60 gig drive. That was about 4 months ago. The win98se CD is clean no scratches at all. The MB and CPU are set at stock since I'm just trying to get my system up and running. And I don't have ANY heat issues cuz well......hehe my case is a jet engine on the inside :D

But like I said I did that clean format of the 60 gig HD and then did a clean install of win98se. Then it doesn't like me anymore and gives me an explorer error and a registry error. Maybe like you said win98se doesn't like some types of those 4in1 drivers. I'll try and find out which ones I have.

Usually the corruption issues are caused by Creative soundcards. BTW it's impossibe to find out which 4in1s that are installed. After looking around the web it seems like the 4.34s work with W98SE & high FSB settings.

Ok I'm really stumped on this one. I've tried many disks of win2k and winXP and they all give me the same can't copy file error. It's having problems coping inetcpl.cpl and I have no clue as to what that is. But I tried it on win2k winXP and a totally diff HD and it gives me that same error. So you think it could be the MB???? Or maybe some kind of conflict with the cards that are installed in the MB?? I only have a voodoo 5 5500 vid card and a PCI 512 sound card and a Linksys NIC connnected. I'm gonna go thermal nuclear pretty soon :mad:

?

Did you unlock your processor?
Ill tell you i just got my kr7a back from a rma process and i only got it to boot twice. Once on a enermax 431 and once on a sparkle 400 . when i tried to set everything to default it would not post.
it cant be a bad unlock job bencause it worked fine in the last computer and i had all the multiplyers.
i will be getting my new kr7a next week
i very much belive some boards are faulty like you just described

Nope did nothing extra at all no OC no unlocking. Everything is stock cuz I wanted a stable system 1st and then tinker around. But I'm really stumped as to what the problem would be......... seems to me that a faulty MB wouldn't cause this but I don't know everything either. But it did fry my 1.2 Ghz CPU right away even though I did have a heatsink on it. So maybe that did something to the MB as well....... I dunno I'm grasping at straws.

Ok I said the heck with it and RMA'd it back to the place I ordered it from. So we shall see if my probs go away with a new MB or not.
My friends told me it should be the MB so I'm fairly confident that it is.

Back