• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 27" Screen for gaming? (more than 1080P)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mjolnir

So I've recently decided, Instead of getting a 3-screen setup and setting up eyefinity, I'd rather have a nice big 27" monitor. But I don't want it to just be 1080p. I want to be able to utilise the size of the monitor so I can remove my second monitor completely. (Not have windows maximized, so have music as a list on one side, browser on the other side, etc). So the res I'm looking at is 25xx (Whatever it is) by 14xx (again, whatever it is :p)

Anyone got any ideas? I was looking at a Refurbished LED Apple Screen 27"... But I'm not sure on the quality of these in terms of ghosting and gaming. They're great screens for colour and all that stuff, but how's the response time?

Or there's the Dell 27" model that arrived mid-late last year.. But it's rated ms is 8ms. Would it realistically make any difference compared to 2ms that'd be real-world noticeable? :\

The Dell U2711 is a 2560x1440 27" inch monitor with a 6ms G2G response time, which is said to be good with no noticeable ghosting

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2711.htm

The Apple 27" Cinema display has the same specs as the U2711 I believe except that it has a 12ms response time and LED backlight.

Samsung also has a 27" 25x14 monitor, the SA850, but price/availability hasn't been announced. It is a Super PLS monitor which is said to have better viewing angles and response time compared to IPS.

Really.. Hmm. I love the look of the Apple Cinema Display, but don't see the need to spend the extra few hundred over the dell, when I don't needs its extra features :\. 12ms response sounds iffy. Though the LED backlight would be nice I'm sure.

I'll check out the Samsung. Thanks for the reply =)

Gotta vote for the Dell U2711. I've got the 2408 and love it. The u2711 is an IPS panel, and offers a host of cabinet features.

Alright sweet. I think I'll go for it next time I have the money to spare.. I'll miss having two screens, but it'll be neater for sure and look nicer than any standard panel! Cheers for the feedback =)

+1 for the apple! the screen brightness appears much brighter than the dell, I have both!

I use two 23's or 25's ... I don't remember how big they are. But they're both apple and the quality and clarity is just incredible. And it doesn't matter what I'm doing, its all amazing.

You are a brave person stepping down from two monitors. I started using duals 4 years ago, I've only been like a two weeks total with only one monitor. That's at work and at home. haha :attn:

Lol yeah.. I dunno if I'd cope too well without the second one :p.

But what about the apple screens for gaming? any ghosting or blurring for fast paced FPS and such? That'd be my worry for the apple screens :\.

How do you guys connect the apple display without a mini displayport on your GPU? I looked all over the internet and could not find any dvi to mini displayport adapters anywhere.

I guess you could go from mini dp to regular dp to dvi? Help please :D

Most new video card have a mini display port already... I got an apple cinema display Its amazing no ghost at all !!! I'm playing a lot of First person shooter and MMO and I never have any probleme with it. Really nice screen the integrated speaker are not bad but doesnt match any logitech speakers and you got an handy webcam if you use skype or wtv... Actually the screen have a really nice looking too sooo ...

Cons: Price...

Back