• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Nvidia releases its latest GPU, meet the GTX 590!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A well, once again "the most powerful" video card is released, just another day in the office.
This will just continue on and on.

Am I just thinking about it wrong? Last time I paid attention to multi-gpu cards, it was pretty much 2 cores from a current card jammed into one package

9800GX2 = 2x 8800GTS (G92)
4870X2 = 2x 4870's
etc...

So I assume then that these new era of multi GPU cards use chips specifically designed for them? So you can't make the correlation that GTX590 = 2x GTX580/GTX570/GTX560/whatever?

To put things into perspective to see how far along hardware has come in the last couple of years, the 295 was top dog for along time, it traded blows with the "other guys" in a few games, but whatever. Flashback to today, the 295 is almost as strong as a 570, and if the 590 is like 2x 570s, that makes the 295 1/3 as strong as the 590, thats pretty redickerous :)

I hate being terrible with math :rain:

So instead, I guesstimate!

:D

to you guys above debating the power, i find the number of shader cores in Nvidia cards makes a good enough guesstimate on there relative performance, just how my gts 450 ( 192 sp ) is roughly the same as a 260 gtx ( 192/216 sp )

Well if you only have one full 16x bandwidth 16x slot, this might come in handy.

We here at OC Forums shouldn't be complaining about under clocked cards. We all know what we have to do about about these kind of issues :D

Back