• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best monitor setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qcom

Registered
What is the greatest possible monitor setup available at the moment?

I'm thinking about 3D, 2560 x 1600 resolution, three-monitor setups, etc.

But, from what I can tell, there don't appear to be any 3D monitors with a 2560 x 1600 resolution. It looks that the highest 3D resolution at the moment is the "full HD", or, 1920 x 1080.

Also, as far as I know, all of the current 3D monitors require glasses. I'm not too keen on that. I've also heard that 3 3D monitors isn't possible, or something. Not sure if that's possible. If so though, I think 3 monitors at 2560 x 1600 would be the greatest setup at the moment.

Also, what kind of beastly GPU would be necessary to push three of those monitors to their full potential? I saw that the 590 just came out today, which was what prompted me to check out cool monitor setups.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Hi qcom -- could you elaborate on what you're wanting to accomplish? The current technology for 3D monitors does require glasses, regardless of the resolution. I'm not sure what you are looking for when referencing the 'greatest possible monitor setup'.

Is this for gaming, or for watching movies and such?

As for the GPU, using multiple GPUs could be used to leverage the visual solution you're wanting to display.

I'm not sure of how many 3D monitors you could/couldn't have; there isn't a hard limit that I've heard of yet.

Speak to you soon...

Thanks for the help. Yeah, sorry about my original post. That was waay too general. xD

I'm looking mainly for gaming with the latest games on max settings with the highest resolution possible and an excellent frame rate.

I think I want to stay away from the 3D for now. Mainly because of the apparently lower resolution, but also because of the glasses. Kind of an inconvenience in my opinion.

So, I'm kind of thinking about a three-monitor setup, at the moment.

All good! I'm still learning about 3D monitors and displays myself.

I think I want to stay away from the 3D for now. Mainly because of the apparently lower resolution, but also because of the glasses. Kind of an inconvenience in my opinion.

So, I'm kind of thinking about a three-monitor setup, at the moment.
Makes sense -- the 3D stuff is still really new, and the glasses are quite the turnoff for gaming.

Running a non-3D triple monitor setup removes quite a few of the issues. I don't recall specifically, but I think it's nVidia that has a setup for running three monitors at the same time. ATI's is eyefinity and nVidia's is 2D surround.

Hey, cool!

I checked out nVidia's page where they said it's possible to, "Game across three non-3D displays with resolutions up to 2560x1600."

I think that's probably the coolest setup at the moment, wouldn't you agree? I mean, that resolution sounds incredible, on paper at least.

How many GPU's would you suggest for this, by the way? And I've been doing some searches on newegg, but if you know of a specific 2560x1600 monitor that is supposed to be beastly, let me hear it.

UPDATE:

It looks like, according to this article, Surround requires at least two GPU's, which really isn't a problem in my opinion, while eyefinity does not. Two 590's? Beast.

Last edited:
I'm an nVidia fan, but it's because their video cards are awesome at Folding @ Home. So, I'm biased! But, yes, their three-monitor setup is pretty neat. It certainly meets the specs you are looking for.

As for the number of GPUs, you may be able to run it off a single GPU if using 2x DVI ports and a single HDMI or D-port. At worse, you could use two video cards to accomplish that.

Does having two GPUs necessarily translate to a better overall graphical performance? Better frame rates, and so on?

Does having two GPUs necessarily translate to a better overall graphical performance? Better frame rates, and so on?

The quick answer, Yes SLI or Crossfire will rock your boat! As far as the "Best Monitor".....
crvd_20100830.jpg

See it here http://www.crvd.com/ :comp:

Depends on the game in question. Some games aren't coded to use multiple gpus effectively. I know for a long time you couldn't even run WoW with multiple gpus regardless of the chipmaker.

If the game was designed with sli/xfire in mind, then yes, it will show dramatic improvements in performance.

Yes, Nvidia cards require 2 cards for their Surround Gaming to work. AMD (Formerly ATI) can do it with just one, but in the resolutions you are talking about the performance will suffer without the second card.

As for 3d, unless we invent the holodeck, some sort of glasses will probably always be required. Getting a 3D effect off a 2D screen just isn't within our current technical capabilities without them. Maybe in 20 or so years, but that's just a wild out of my rear end guess. :)

The quick answer, Yes SLI or Crossfire will rock your boat! As far as the "Best Monitor".....
crvd_20100830.jpg

I'll take my 3 23" 1920x1080p monitors over that. Bezels can be a pain, but if I have to pay 6500 to go without them? No thanks. :shrug:

Not to mention the pathetically small resolution size with the depth of a crt.

Last edited:
Daemonkin has some good information, and to re-iterate one of the main items: it depends on what game you are playing and what you're using the multiple monitors for. Instead of a single high-end or two moderate-end cards, you could instead get three mid-range/lower-end cards for the same price to spread out the workload of the GPU processing.

That CRVD display is very interesting, but overly expensive for consumer use.

A 6990 would probably be a better choice. You have more vram which is needed at such high resolutions. And if a game does not support SLI/Crossfire you can always turn off one card (I think, I think they took away the option to disable it).

The only problem with AMD is that you will need a $100 active displayport to dvi adapter, unless the monitors you buy already include displayport.

As for 3d, unless we invent the holodeck, some sort of glasses will probably always be required. Getting a 3D effect off a 2D screen just isn't within our current technical capabilities without them. Maybe in 20 or so years, but that's just a wild out of my rear end guess. :)

Don't dismiss what the Japanese are capable of so quickly. They can do 3D hologram **** that can blow your mind.

First link that I Googled.
(These people are going nuts for a concert of a 3D hologram)

One of Japans selling points to get the 2022 World Cup hosted in Japan was that they could record the game in 3D, and broadcast it, live, life size, in 3D holograms in other stadiums. So you could be sitting in another stadium, and it would look like you were really watching the game.

20 years? Holosheds are already here, just across the ocean (assuming you're in the US)

Don't dismiss what the Japanese are capable of so quickly. They can do 3D hologram **** that can blow your mind.

First link that I Googled.
(These people are going nuts for a concert of a 3D hologram)

One of Japans selling points to get the 2022 World Cup hosted in Japan was that they could record the game in 3D, and broadcast it, live, life size, in 3D holograms in other stadiums. So you could be sitting in another stadium, and it would look like you were really watching the game.

20 years? Holosheds are already here, just across the ocean (assuming you're in the US)

While certainly impressive, it's years from being used has a PC screen. :)

While certainly impressive, it's years from being used has a PC screen. :)

Oh definitely. I was just mentioning that because you had mentioned the holoshed being 20 years away, and the technology for it's already here.

The Japanese have glasses-less 3D TV already though, too ;)
Edit: I will throw out though, that it is still highly expensive, and not something that you see everywhere. But it is already done :)

Oh definitely. I was just mentioning that because you had mentioned the holoshed being 20 years away, and the technology for it's already here.

The Japanese have glasses-less 3D TV already though, too ;)
Edit: I will throw out though, that it is still highly expensive, and not something that you see everywhere. But it is already done :)

I also freely admitted I pulled the number out of my butt. :D

I've seen those glasses-less tvs, but aren't they still a few years from consumer markets?

When that screen is 1000 it will sell like hotcakes.

Maybe once they get rid of the crappy resolution and huge size of it. You give up a lot of stuff just to have a seamless screen, imho.

I also freely admitted I pulled the number out of my butt. :D

I've seen those glasses-less tvs, but aren't they still a few years from consumer markets?

Maybe once they get rid of the crappy resolution and huge size of it. You give up a lot of stuff just to have a seamless screen, imho.

Hmm I see its NOT lcd, lol......yep great idea, poor implementation.

Sure we could recommend dual 6990's and triple U3011's or zR30w's and that would get him one of the best setups out there, but unless his budget is about $4k whats the point?

Unless the OP is just inquiring, without a budget this is all moot

Anything practical? Yes.

But they are technically available in consumer markets.

The Toshiba Regza GL1. It's $1400 for a 12" screen, $2900 for a 20" screen.

crvd_20100830.jpg

Haha, I stumbled upon that while looking for awesome monitors. Even if I didn't have any budget, I'm not sure if I'd purchase this. It has a pretty awesome cool factor, but, the technology it uses is relatively old, and it's far from being any sort of a flat screen. I think three 2560x1600 monitors beats this hands down.

Depends on the game in question. Some games aren't coded to use multiple gpus effectively. I know for a long time you couldn't even run WoW with multiple gpus regardless of the chipmaker.

If the game was designed with sli/xfire in mind, then yes, it will show dramatic improvements in performance.

Yes, Nvidia cards require 2 cards for their Surround Gaming to work. AMD (Formerly ATI) can do it with just one, but in the resolutions you are talking about the performance will suffer without the second card.

I'll take my 3 23" 1920x1080p monitors over that. Bezels can be a pain, but if I have to pay 6500 to go without them? No thanks. :shrug:

Not to mention the pathetically small resolution size with the depth of a crt.

I think 2 cards is a no brainer. Two 590's is kind of what I'm leaning towards.

I agree about the 3 23" 1920x1080 monitors beating the crvd. And 2560x1600?? Obvi.

A 6990 would probably be a better choice. You have more vram which is needed at such high resolutions. And if a game does not support SLI/Crossfire you can always turn off one card (I think, I think they took away the option to disable it).

The only problem with AMD is that you will need a $100 active displayport to dvi adapter, unless the monitors you buy already include displayport.

You think the 6990 over the 590?

Sure we could recommend dual 6990's and triple U3011's or zR30w's and that would get him one of the best setups out there, but unless his budget is about $4k whats the point?

Unless the OP is just inquiring, without a budget this is all moot

Are dual 6990's really better than dual 590's? Also, do you suggest U3011's or zR30w's? This is kind of just an inquiry.

But I'm also kind of serious... xD

UPDATE:

I compared the U3011 with the zR30w on newegg and I found the U3011 to be much better overall (at least for my needs), and for only $150 or so more.

Last edited:
Back