• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's that time, time to upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epauls

Well I haven't really been gaming since Crysis the original. But finally here comes Crysis 2! So it is time to upgrade since this system has gotten long in the tooth.
Here is what I have currently
Core2 Duo E6850
Asus Rampage MB
Sapphire toxic HD 5850
2x1mb memory(good stuff but don't recall brand) Ordered GSkill 1600 2x2mb since these componants will travel down to son's computer.
500gig SataII HD
CM Stacker 832
Samsung 24" monitor
Yes I am upgrading the video card, pretty much everything in the end.

So, make it simple...or maybe more complicated while I am not on a set budget I am aslo not sky is the limit. I like to get good bang for buck.
I am hoping to go to a 3 monitor setup in the end though.

So what do you suggest as a MB and Processor combo? Probably go with 8gb of memory with Windows 7 64bit

Well I haven't really been gaming since Crysis the original. But finally here comes Crysis 2! So it is time to upgrade since this system has gotten long in the tooth.
Here is what I have currently
Core2 Duo E6850
Asus Rampage MB
Sapphire toxic HD 5850
2x1mb memory(good stuff but don't recall brand) Ordered GSkill 1600 2x2mb since these componants will travel down to son's computer.
500gig SataII HD
CM Stacker 832
Samsung 24" monitor
Yes I am upgrading the video card, pretty much everything in the end.

So, make it simple...or maybe more complicated while I am not on a set budget I am aslo not sky is the limit. I like to get good bang for buck.
I am hoping to go to a 3 monitor setup in the end though.

So what do you suggest as a MB and Processor combo? Probably go with 8gb of memory with Windows 7 64bit

Intel Sandybridge 2500K or 2600K, Asus, Gigabyte or Asrock motherboards.

http://www.overclockers.com/asrock-p67-extreme-6-motherboard-review/

Keeping Price range close how does the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz stack against the 2500k?

In multi threaded apps the hex core AMD will win out. Single threaded the 2500k does.

Do you plan on overclocking the CPU at all? If not, get a 2500 or 2600 (no K). they are locked and dont overclock (saves you money). I also suggest getting the 2600 or 2600k as it has HT. With HT the 2600 keeps right up with that HEX.

In multi threaded apps the hex core AMD will win out. Single threaded the 2500k does.

Do you plan on overclocking the CPU at all? If not, get a 2500 or 2600 (no K). they are locked and dont overclock (saves you money). I also suggest getting the 2600 or 2600k as it has HT. With HT the 2600 keeps right up with that HEX.

ED,

My personal opinion for an Intel is a 2500K or 2600K and a P67 board. The OC options will always be there even for a mild overclocker like me. The difference between a similar K and non-K model is really insignificant as are the differences between the similar H67 and P67 boards.

There is nothing worse that saying "I shoulda got that instead" when it's too late. Been there once........never again!

Back