• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The 590 oven!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daemonkin

590s blowing up? Maybe this is why. Pictures speak for themselves:
GTX 590 idle vs load:
gtx590img0031534.jpg
gtx590img0031535.jpg

Source

Time to turn the fan speed up.

WOW are these your IR photos? This is very cool. Does your nvidia software show more or less same temps? i.e. is it more or less accurate?

Nah its sourced from a French website. I'm still struggling with my 5870x2, lol. Wanted a 590 til I started seeing reports of some burning out.

Can't afford ir camera either lol.

HD6990 is the way to go at this point, XFX warranty covers overclocking of it too! I hope Nvidia recalls it and fix the first batch and release a revision quick, but who knows if they will remember their defective mobile cards? Several OEM dropped use of their mobile cards in their PCs altogether

Last edited:
Yikes! That is terrible, I would never put that in my system if that's the kinds of temperatures it gets.

Smoke is never a good sign...

Last edited:
Unless I missed it in the review it wasn't mentioned what case and cooling they were using. The card is obviously just fan cooled however case flow plays a large part as well.

I think the 590 has it's issues but then again a lot of those I am sure could be worked around. Besides who would honestly want to run these in SLI on air. . . . sorry those babies in my opinion are water only.

IMO they are just packing WAY WAY to much wattage output into such a small area.

Just look at it this way... look at the HUGE size of the cpu coolers we are using for what.... 95W TDP cpu's? the coolers on the 6990 and the 590 are so minimal for the 375w TDP of these cards its no wonder they burn up.

Also theres only so much juice you can flow in that area, and tbh they have reached it... i seriously think they need to go back to the drawing board and stop making these prescott-esque gpus, and think about efficiency.

Was it the actual GPU or a power component/circuit?

This is not an AMD vs nVidia thread so lets keep the discusion mostly on nVidia's 590.

IMO they are just packing WAY WAY to much wattage output into such a small area.

Just look at it this way... look at the HUGE size of the cpu coolers we are using for what.... 95W TDP cpu's? the coolers on the 6990 and the 590 are so minimal for the 375w TDP of these cards its no wonder they burn up.

Also theres only so much juice you can flow in that area, and tbh they have reached it... i seriously think they need to go back to the drawing board and stop making these prescott-esque gpus, and think about efficiency.

I think Nvidia tried to give too much to the silent PC crowd. This card was billed by Nvidia as the quietest double gpu.

Too many people expect way too much. They complain if fans are too loud or if heat gets too high. Time to realize that if you want silence and cool temps, you get wet. :shrug:

Edit: Sorry Audioaficionado, I only posted the amd data to show that their double gpu wasn't starving for air so it wasn't an air flow problem. Though admittedly they could have used a better case. The Antec Sonata III isn't my first choice for airflow or cooling in general.

Though to get these images they had to have the side panel off so those gpus could certainly breathe. :shrug:

Last edited:
The realm at which the 590 is sitting you almost have to watercool the thing in order to get decent operations out of it. I am curious. . . does anyone have a heat review on the classified H2o cards that EVGA has for the 590? Obviously H2o would be able to cool better than air however I am wondering how much more. Could be this card is designed for water and they just did a **** poor job on the air side?

Audioaficionado that is my fault as well, sorry about that. I mainly was wondering about the case used as heat build up has a lot to do with how well the case can move the air.

Daemonkin said:
Though to get these images they had to have the side panel off so those gpus could certainly breathe.
True which would bring cold air in however there would still be a heat pocket of air if the case wasn't venting it out fast enough. Granted it shouldn't make that big of a difference, just trying to figure out if these cards simply run that hot or if there wasn't something helping it a little.

Are there lots of instances of this happening or is it just a YouTube video gone viral?

I'm glad you asked. I searched for "gtx 590 burning" and found this article which states that the burning is caused by a faulty volt protection in the beta driver.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nvid...rn-the-GTX-590-when-Overclocking-191747.shtml

The article recommends all users who want to overclock the GTX 590 to pair it with one of the EK or Danger Den waterblocks available right now or go for the factory water-cooled EVGA Classified Hydro Copper

So it could be all smoke. :D

Last edited:
Was it the actual GPU or a power component/circuit?

This is not an AMD vs nVidia thread so lets keep the discusion mostly on nVidia's 590.

I wasn't trying to create a "flame" war, I was merely stating that non-reference cooling tends to be a bazillion times better than reference coolers. The 6990 is an oven too, because it's a power hungry card with a terrible cooler.

The 590 might not get as hot with a better cooler, at least on the GPU side. As for the rest of the circuitry...... could be the design.

Wow, that is quite toasty. ^^ (lol @ the 'Flame War' pun!)

With this puppy running downstairs may not need a heater turned on.

Heck my 9800 GTX+ running GPU2 FAH client 24/7 @100% load keeps my bedroom quite toasty during the winter. I can't imagine how much warmer it would be with a 590 running full bore.

Back