• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FAH Client v7 Public Beta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChasR

Client v7 is available for public beta testing:
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18034

Pertinent Points courtesy of Bruce:
This is a new client, not new FahCores. With the exception of FahCore_16, you'll still get assignments of the same projects and will earn exactly the same PPD.

FAHViewer only works with FahCores which produce a current.xyz file, so for most people it will show a demo protein.

Third party monitoring programs such as HFM and FahMon and FCI have not yet been updated to work with V7.

If you configure a Windows service in Win7/Vista, GPUs cannot fold. (Limitation by Microsoft).

New WUs will be downloaded not long before the current WU finishes; That WU will start processing while the previous results are being uploaded.

A "slot" is a new concept probably best defined by an example. If you have been running several V6 clients on a single OS, you will now be running one FAHClient with several slots.

You will probably never use a command-line parameters. With FAHControl, you can change your configuration as needed.

The more complex your installation, the more you'll need to read the documentation.

Can i run the 6.34 smp client and try this v7 client on my ati gpu?

Edit: Appears this works, there are no core 16 units yet however.

Last edited:
You should be able to do that. I was using v7 for smp and v6 for gpu folding fo a while.

So I can see there is Windows and Linux support. I see that all clients (uni, smp, gpu) are now included in v7. But I have not seen anyone say anything about native Linux GPU support. From the feature list I would say, yes? But I have not seen rejoycing in the Linux section of the foldingforums.

I won't be able to try v7 out till thursday or friday. I also just got one GPU running again in Wine so I'm not about ready to break anything just yet.

what I want to know is, with FahCore_16 will my ATI cards turn out PPD like my nvidia cards do now?

This question was been asked before on other forums (not by me) but not really answered. I have had AMD setups with crossfire capable boards for the past few years but never did crossfire because I all ways had nvidia cards in the slots. And in general I like ATI cards :)

what I want to know is, with FahCore_16 will my ATI cards turn out PPD like my nvidia cards do now?

This question was been asked before on other forums (not by me) but not really answered. I have had AMD setups with crossfire capable boards for the past few years but never did crossfire because I all ways had nvidia cards in the slots. And in general I like ATI cards :)

There has been a marked improvement in ATi ppd, but it still is only about 50% of nVidia production. It isn't clear to me if that is due to client/core improvement or raising the Value of ATi WUs.

They listed the beta flag in the config guide for the client (as well as advanced), does that mean I can dl beta team work units? I use to be on the beta team back in the day but their forums got wiped and I lost access.

Core 16 should be coming to advmethods shortly.

See: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=180598#p180598

Yes, with the new openness at the forum, a lot more information is available, though not all of it is useful.

And yes, you can run beta but with some risk (besides getting a lot more flakey work units). You won't get any support while running a beta configuration if you are not on the beta team. Beta WUs score the same or less than public work units, so caveat folder. ;)

And if you were on the beta team before, you would be grandfathered in on the newer forum. Just ask to join, if you still want to.

Back