• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual or Single 12v rail?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerix01

I'm looking at a new PSU. What are the advantage to a dual 12v rail PSU? They seem a little more expensive than the singles and I'm seeing some good amps on the single rail PSU's, like 40 - 55 amps, whereas many dual's that are in my price range are about 25amps each. My current PSU is 580watts with 18a on the 12v. I'm shopping in the 650w - 700watt range.

This will be to power the system in my sig.

Key power suckers, OC'd Phenom II x6, 5 HDD's all but one is 7200rpm, and the two video cards. My board can support four PCI-E 16x cards and I'm looking at adding a GTX 570 in the near future while keeping the other two in the system. This computer is more for folding@home than for gaming so just assume all CPU's and GPU's will be running full blast 24/7.

Also, Rosewill's and XFX PSU's keep catching my eye. Any thoughts on those brands?

You're definately going to be 12V heavy and I would recomend a single rail PSU like a Corsair. With a single rail you will have more than enough amps for all of your stuff and wont have to worry about balancing it out across 2 or more rails.

I'm looking at a new PSU. What are the advantage to a dual 12v rail PSU? They seem a little more expensive than the singles and I'm seeing some good amps on the single rail PSU's, like 40 - 55 amps, whereas many dual's that are in my price range are about 25amps each. My current PSU is 580watts with 18a on the 12v. I'm shopping in the 650w - 700watt range.

This will be to power the system in my sig.

Key power suckers, OC'd Phenom II x6, 5 HDD's all but one is 7200rpm, and the two video cards. My board can support four PCI-E 16x cards and I'm looking at adding a GTX 570 in the near future while keeping the other two in the system. This computer is more for folding@home than for gaming so just assume all CPU's and GPU's will be running full blast 24/7.

Also, Rosewill's and XFX PSU's keep catching my eye. Any thoughts on those brands?

These two stickies should answer all your questions:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

and:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548862

You're definately going to be 12V heavy and I would recomend a single rail PSU like a Corsair. With a single rail you will have more than enough amps for all of your stuff and wont have to worry about balancing it out across 2 or more rails.

I have the kingwin lazer 1000W and its just a single rail. The only thing I have to worry about is the amount of current running through my wires. Other than that, if I had a large enough wire, I could run everything off that single 12V line.

I have the kingwin lazer 1000W and its just a single rail. The only thing I have to worry about is the amount of current running through my wires. Other than that, if I had a large enough wire, I could run everything off that single 12V line.

Which one do you have because the one I'm looking at is modular with 80A spread across six 12V rails....

All that current goes through the small wiring in your house/the power cord leading to your computer. I think it's ok.

Back