• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on PCIe SSDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bennoculus

Hey guys,

I'm considering grabbing a nice OCZ PCIe x1 SSD. They seem to have amazing read and write speeds compared to traditional SSDs. Is it worth it?

I'm curious if my board would even support a PCIe SSD. It's a fairly new board I think (M4N98TD EVO). I do have a PCIex1 slot open, so I'm curious to try one, but would like you guys' opinions first.

What are the real pros and cons?

I had one for a short time and sold it. Amazing speeds if you use it? Would you? Do you do a lot of large file transfers etc?

You board would need to be able to boot from a PCie device...

I had one for a short time and sold it. Amazing speeds if you use it? Would you? Do you do a lot of large file transfers etc?

You board would need to be able to boot from a PCie device...

See I'm not quite sure if it supports it or not. This is why I think I might go with another traditional SSD, because I honestly don't want to deal with an RMA back to NewEgg with their 20% restocking fee if it doesn't work.

I'm considering buying it for PCMark05 to improve my scores greatly. Would I even see a big benefit over the PCIe drive compared to a SATA SSD?

The speed difference is huge, so yes.

I owned a Revo x2 and that thing was FAST in certain areas. Personally, just buy another SSD and put it in R0. A bit cheaper. :)

Back