• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New SB build, couple bugs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightelph

2500K on a Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3. BIOS F2 (latest)
8GB (2x4GB) Gskill DDR2-1866 RAM.
2X GTX460s.

I am coming from s775 and have no direct i7/i5 experience.

During initial BIOS config, I went to disable the power saving, core stepping features but found that if i disable either EIST or Virtualization I am left with an endless reboot. I found that odd since I had them disabled in my s775 hardware.

FYI, my RAM isn't on Gigy's approved list, but the 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws are.

I have turbo-boost disabled and am currently stable at 3.7ghz. However Coretemp gives me a VID of 1.2410v when I'm at 3.3GHZ, and as I increment the multi up to 37X the VID in Coretemp actually changes! Now I believed that VID was a set value from the factory. My question is should my base voltage be what Coretemp reports @ 3.3 or at 3.7 (the would-be Turbo freq)?

I've started going over the i7 guide in this section to learn how to OC these chips since they're new to me. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Thanks all!

-nightelph

Don't listen to the VID at all. I don't. I trust CPU-Z and the bios itself to tell me my voltage.

Leave virt on. No need to turn that off for a good OC.

I find it odd that it won't let you kill EIST.. .

So this thing won't let you run like 45x100 at 1.35V? I built my buddy a similar rig, sort of.

UD3P (one step down from yours, not vanilla UD3, the black one), 2500K, Scythe Rasetsu cpu cooler, 8GB XMS cas 9 1600Mhz corsair (he wouldn't listen to me about cas latency...).

Anyways, it took us 10 mins. The mobo let me turn off everything. I left virtualization on as he runs virtual machines at times. Everything else was off though. Literally set the RAM frequencies as per sticker, set 45x100, set 1.35V as a startoff voltage, and that was 12 hours blend stable. From there just a matter of dropping to find the lowest happy voltage for the CPU.

Don't buy that CPU cooler, because it's @SS, but I'm saying this is likely a little bug somewhere. These boards/cpus are really easy IME. It only got angry at me when I tried to overclock the RAM and change from 1T to 2T. That's not the mem controller though, that's cheap-o RAM.

CPU cooler? Case? PSU? Have you re-seated things incase there was a loose connection? Have you tried your desired OC with a single stick of something on the QVL?

Last edited:
haven'tr tried anything higher than 37X, literally just built it. I wanted to get my base stable first.

And what CPU cooler are you talking about? I have a lapped TRUE on there.

PSU is a 750 Enermax Infiniti.

I don't have any other DDR3 to test.

Edit: Runs 40X, 1.350v BIOS. CPU-z says its using 1.056v idle. I'll test for stability.

Also I set my ram timings manually as the SPD ones were off.

Runs fine at 45X, 1.35v. But I'm trying to find max stable bclk, as per the guides instructions. When I lower the multi, be it a little or a lot, and raise the bclk only 10-15mhz (and keeping mem under its max speed), no matter what combination of that I try I get reboots before BIOS.

For example, 33X core, 115mhz bclk = 3.8ghz, mem is @ 1840 (1866 max). No boot. From there I tried setting the ram to somewhere in the middle ~1587? and also ~980ish. No boot.

Tried the ram at those three speeds with a very low core multi, still nothing. Those are the only settings I'm changing, from the ones that will let me run 45X. Whats going on here?

for what it's worth, I get the same endless reboots if I disable EIST and leave C1E on, and my board is a different brand. On the other hand, I don't think it's necessary to turn off power saving modes (EIST & C1E) to OC. In my stability tests it made no difference. Disabling C3 & C6 report seemed to help though

SB is different. Most boards can barely handle 105. I would just leave it at stock 100 speed.

Haha thanks Vengence! I was beginning to suspect. Anyway I'm at 4.50ghz prime stable, will keep pushing this weekend. Then on to my video cards.

Also I would turn off any power saving features. I find even under heavy load, my CPU speed will drop to 1600MHZ for a split second which I think will cause problems.

Also I would turn off any power saving features. I find even under heavy load, my CPU speed will drop to 1600MHZ for a split second which I think will cause problems.

I would double check it's not really a glitch in your readings software. Power savings don't usually do that

Back