• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Eyefinity Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PeterPwned

Hi,

just wondering whether it is possible to decrease the quality of the image rendered on the side monitors in eyefinity, while retaining the quality of the central screen. I personally find I barely look at the side screens and never do I examine them for quality. Turning down AA to 2x to make games playable in eyefinity seriously impacts image quality and defeats the purpose of turning on eyefinity for me.

Cheers,
Mark

I just realized my 5970 is just the wrong card for multi-monitor gaming. Checked a bunch of benchmarks and the 2 GB shared/ 1GB per GPU VRAM is just too small to play games with 4 or 8x AA in extreme res environments. So even in portrait mode, no shot at AA, not because the card is too slow, on the other hand its pretty damn fast, but because there is no space for it to do its job. Thanks AMD! That's what it says on your website, right? "Not intended for multi-monitor gaming"? WRONG! If I query for Help me Choose an ATI Radeon Graphics Card and select "I'm going to play ultra high resolution games and mega-task on multiple monitors" it gives me the 5970 as the query result. LOL This is one nice big joke. Should have gone with a gtx 580, a 120hz screen and 3d vision glasses. Now I'm stuck with three huge monitors that I can't power with a card I payed over 700 bucks for. Together with the three monitors I bought for this I payed over 1100 bucks and still can't expect a fluent 5760x1080 gaming experience, shame really.

Wow wonder if i will have issues with my 5870 eyefinity 6. I purely got it for the 2gb vram and price point and allows me to get a 2nd one her in 2 months. I read lots of places that assure me my card in crossfire would be good now I am scared since your saying the 5970 cant handle it and it has 2 gpu's :(

I kinda know what you mean, though I got my 5970 at a steal. I'd love to have at least 4xAA, but at 21.5" 1080p the pixel density helps a bit. What you should do if you're still willing to spend more is sell the card for like $370 and buy two 6950's and unlock them for ~$500.

Oh and the reason I mentioned portriat is that 2xAA may look better since everything is being rendered at a higher resolution. Though to be honest when I tried portrait for a while I could still notice 2xAA was not enough. I still prefer it, though sadly my cheap monitors don't hang correctly when flipped.

@ Charles

Don't worry, because you're getting this wrong. One eyefinity 6 has 2 gb vram. If you install a second one you actually have 4gb total vram, since each eyefinity 6 has 2GB. But because you crossfire them they share their vram and you effectively have 2GB Vram only.

One hd 5970 has total 2 gb vram, but because there are two gpus running in crossfire mode on there, vram needs to be shared. That means I have effectively 1GB Vram, which is just too little.

@ Hajalie

Already trying to sell the card, so I can buy a single card GPU until Radeon 7000 are released later this year. Little bit fed up with dual gpu solutions to be honest, getting crazy flickering in Crysis 2 and just in general too much dependency on app profiles is bad.

Dual 6950? Sounds good, but then again I'd rather not spend a lot of money now and rather get a good HD 7000 card that can actually handle three monitors.

I am completely happy with the 5970, all I want is space for it to do its job, so in other words vram.

I know what you mean with the monitors - I don't have amazing thin bezel monitors, just some cheap LG screens (three used 24 inch 1080p screens for $500) that do their job well, but I would have a 1.5 inch bezel if I'd flip them and that sort of ruins the fun.

Last edited:
Wow wonder if i will have issues with my 5870 eyefinity 6. I purely got it for the 2gb vram and price point and allows me to get a 2nd one her in 2 months. I read lots of places that assure me my card in crossfire would be good now I am scared since your saying the 5970 cant handle it and it has 2 gpu's :(

If you're doing Eyefinity 3 only; one 5870 EF6 2GB should be enough. If you want the whole enchilada with 6 monitors; you will need two of them in CF.

Here's a review of that card(s) pushing six monitors...

5870 Eyefinity 6 Review

And a sample video from that review

And as a bonus.... One of my favorite "overkill" displays of Eyefinity I've found.

Last edited:
Oh i see thanks few I thought I was screwed, thanks for the assurance I will enjoy my eyefinity. Happy endeavors on your future 7xxx. I am with you I dont like multiple gpus but sometimes it helps.

Yeah I was re reading your post and i see where you coming from. They do share the vram and having 1gb of vram is no fun.

Although you said you dont want to spend any more money the Eyefinity 6 from xfx 5970 had 4gb or vram and dual gpu. But at a cost of $899 might be too much.

The 5xxx series is now basically outdated and won't profit from future driver releases. I hope to enjoy the new Mjolnir performance driver sets, thats why only a 6xxx or 7xxx card will do. Check it http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/03/1...review-driver-that-you-have-been-waiting-for/

"I am with you I dont like multiple gpus but sometimes it helps." Now that is the question, whether it really helps. Check this helpful bench http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/14/geforce_gtx_580_vs_radeon_hd_5970_2gb_performance/

Throughout that article it becomes clear that the HD 5970 is only about 20 percent faster than a single 5870, but has only about half the minimum FPS of a 5870. What it comes down to then, is that 5970 gaming is very unpredictable and random at times, which is not what I want.

i cant stand those bezels!!!! I cant wait for super hi res HD screen you wont need to have the multi monitor set up any more, since they just brough out HDMI 1.4 theyll be coming soon :D

Forget it, even 30inch screens are unfathomably expensive. You can actually get four 24inchers for the price of a single 30incher as of now.

Back