• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

580 running in 2D clock mode?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

Hey guys got same problem I had with my other 580,it falls into 2d mode..I think..It is only running at half its clock speed but on reboot it will go back to normal but after a while it does it again..I have it set on performance in control panel and have the latest driver installed..
Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks..

You have already done the nVidia control panel, Manage 3d settings, power management mode, prefer maximum performance, so I will assume we're talking Windows 7, and will assume you have the gpu priority set to low and the smp priority set to idle, so that a priority conflict isn't the cause.
You probably need to try using riva tuner to force 3D clocks:
Click on the Power User tab, then click on the plus (+) sign next to Riva Tuner\Nvidia\Overclocking.
This expands the menu, double click on the box next to EnablePerfLevelForcing and enter 1.
Now go back to the overclocking menu, the Force Constant Performance Level box should now longer be greyed out. Check the box.

A reboot will be required once you select performance 3D and if so desired, you can always disable it when not needed.

In nVidia Control Panel, you could also try adding a Program Setting for the Fahcore_XX processes and select prefer maximum performance there instead of using the global setting that doesn't appear to work.

You have already done the nVidia control panel, Manage 3d settings, power management mode, prefer maximum performance, so I will assume we're talking Windows 7, and will assume you have the gpu priority set to low and the smp priority set to idle, so that a priority conflict isn't the cause.
You probably need to try using riva tuner to force 3D clocks:
Click on the Power User tab, then click on the plus (+) sign next to Riva Tuner\Nvidia\Overclocking.
This expands the menu, double click on the box next to EnablePerfLevelForcing and enter 1.
Now go back to the overclocking menu, the Force Constant Performance Level box should now longer be greyed out. Check the box.

A reboot will be required once you select performance 3D and if so desired, you can always disable it when not needed.

In nVidia Control Panel, you could also try adding a Program Setting for the Fahcore_XX processes and select prefer maximum performance there instead of using the global setting that doesn't appear to work.

Thanks Chas I will try Riva tuner..One question,is it compatible with Afterburner?

Afterburner was made from RT, but you have to choose one or the other, not both.

How did you make out Dave? Yesterday I had one of my 460 go to half on clocks and shader's. Been trying everything. Looking like a hardware fail, I am going to try the newest drivers off the Win update.

This might explain why I have been having Precision crash on me for 2 months.

I had the same problem folding on my GTX 260's. TechPowerups GPU tool did the trick. I set 2d ,3d, and low 2d modes to the same clocks that I was folding so it would never downclock. Donno if it works w/ newer cards though.

Thanks guys..
Yes a reboot works but I end up having to reboot 3 or 4 times per day:((

Riva Tuner did the trick so far so good..I hope it isn't a hardware failure i already had to RMA one 580:(

Back