• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not sure what i can build for $500.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevinmuff

Registered
Im looking to build a computer for my brother, and he has a budget of $500.
I have built my computer, but it is a 2600k build, with a GTX 560ti, a $1900 build.
Where my problem lies, is that im not quite sure on how to build a cheap system. Im not sure what mid range component is better than the next, im only use to high end components.
I would like the computer to have a second gen i3, i5, or i7 in it, most likely a i3 im guessing.
I am also not sure if the processors onboard video graphics would be able to support the sims 3 or anything like that, what can it run?
If it could run the sims 3, then i wouldnt need a video card.
Could someone possibly show me a $500 build from newegg.ca?

For the same amount of money or less you could get a more powerful CPU if you go with AMD as long as your are looking at the lower end of the Intel product line anyway.

Just something I put together really fast on Newegg. Think thats everything.

Intel i3 2100 - $124.99
ASUS P8H67-M LX (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 - $98.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - $46.99
CORSAIR CX430 - $34.99 (after MIR)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB - $21.99
SONY Black 18X DVD-ROM Drive - $16.99
Antec 300 - $55
Windows 7 home - $99.99

Total: $500.92

Do you live by microcenter? They have a deal going right now you buy a amd cpu and you get a mobo for free. I bought a Phenom 2 560 with a biostar board (they didn't offer the gigabyte at the time i got mine in feb). But anyway i got this baby oc'ed 3rd core opens but don't like certain games so i keep it closed usually, 4th core unlocked but was garbage.

Really good deal tho 99 bucks with a free mobo you can't go wrong at all. Some microcenter ddr3 i got onsale for 30 bucks for 4 gb (which i read is just adata rebranded). Used 5870 radeon, and used intel ssd, thermaltake wanna be antec 300 case got for 20 bucks after sale plus promo plus! rebate that i did get back lol. Hell for the price you'd spend on that intel you could get a 1090T hex core black edition AMD chip(or 1055T if not ocing) with a free gigabyte board lol.

Ownage!

http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

Basicly if you went AMD and yes i'll admit i am a amdfanboi before someone says it. But i will just say if your looking to whatever get performance on the cheap along with getting other nice stuff that u might want. If you don't have a microcenter near you, on ebay people are selling the 560's bundled with the asus and biostar boards and stuff or seperate if you look them up. The biostar board goes for like 20 bucks lol cpu for 80 i think. I was gonna pick up extra and sell them but eh already tons of people dumping them on there and only making what they paid on them lol.

oh btw microcenter did have a deal on a I3 2100 or something (dont keep up with intel) with a free mobo for 100 dollars but i think it might of been a one day only deal i'll double check my email. I see it say CA on your profile, two locations in Cali for microcenter. Btw if you have never been there, the website is terrible and usually behind on pricing they tend to price match newegg or do one better or cost a couple bucks more. I do all my shopping there.

Found the Ad in my email but the sale is over on the intel with free mobo.

Last edited:
im really liking the build you set out for me "fearbefore"
but my only question is, what can the graphics on the processor actually do? What can it run?

im really liking the build you set out for me "fearbefore"
but my only question is, what can the graphics on the processor actually do? What can it run?

I'm not sure, but if you build it and they aren't good enough for the games he plays, then he can save up for a graphics card over time.

Do you have a copy of windows 7?

if you so this is the build:
COOLER MASTER Elite 430 - $50
5770 $119
AMD Athlon X4 - $100
G Skill memory 4GB - $42
Western Digital Blue 500GB- $40
Corsair builders series 600w - $70
MSI 760GM-P33 AM3 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - $55

This is - $$487.93

If you dont have a copy of windows 7 just change the 5770 to the HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB

that sounds good, and yes i do have a copy.
Will that x4 be comparable to a i3 2100?

i concur with the microcenter suggestion. i picked up a phenom 2 x4 and an msi am2+ board for $142 including tax. this was at the brentwood missouri microcenter, but im fairly certain they do that all over the place.

I'd go for one of those microcenter budles like the Phenom IIx2 plus mobo for $99. You can build a decent PC out of that.

Good for everything you could ever need with the 5770 (minus "midrange to high" gaming, of course.). You can still play WoW and like 2007 or earlier games absolutely no problem at high framerate high settings. You could surely play some current games also but at low settings. If gaming is no concern then you can definitely get everything you want out of $500.

with the motherboard like MSI 760GM-P33, it says it has onboard video of ati 3000, how do you use this? Just install everything and set up your mobo to your monitor and it should work? should i just use the intergrated graphics rather than buying a video card?
My brother says when he tries to watch HD videos on youtube, they show like a slideshow instead of a steady video, and not because of his connection.
I am assuming this is because his video card sucks too much? Would the intergrated graphics on the mobo be fine for this?

Last edited:
Also, would this PSU work with this motherboard?
I just have to make sure its got a 4pin power for the CPU, and a 24 pin for the main power, right? so it should work?

Do you live by microcenter? They have a deal going right now you buy a amd cpu and you get a mobo for free. I bought a Phenom 2 560 with a biostar board (they didn't offer the gigabyte at the time i got mine in feb). But anyway i got this baby oc'ed 3rd core opens but don't like certain games so i keep it closed usually, 4th core unlocked but was garbage.

Really good deal tho 99 bucks with a free mobo you can't go wrong at all. Some microcenter ddr3 i got onsale for 30 bucks for 4 gb (which i read is just adata rebranded). Used 5870 radeon, and used intel ssd, thermaltake wanna be antec 300 case got for 20 bucks after sale plus promo plus! rebate that i did get back lol. Hell for the price you'd spend on that intel you could get a 1090T hex core black edition AMD chip(or 1055T if not ocing) with a free gigabyte board lol.

Ownage!

http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

Basicly if you went AMD and yes i'll admit i am a amdfanboi before someone says it. But i will just say if your looking to whatever get performance on the cheap along with getting other nice stuff that u might want. If you don't have a microcenter near you, on ebay people are selling the 560's bundled with the asus and biostar boards and stuff or seperate if you look them up. The biostar board goes for like 20 bucks lol cpu for 80 i think. I was gonna pick up extra and sell them but eh already tons of people dumping them on there and only making what they paid on them lol.

oh btw microcenter did have a deal on a I3 2100 or something (dont keep up with intel) with a free mobo for 100 dollars but i think it might of been a one day only deal i'll double check my email. I see it say CA on your profile, two locations in Cali for microcenter. Btw if you have never been there, the website is terrible and usually behind on pricing they tend to price match newegg or do one better or cost a couple bucks more. I do all my shopping there.

Found the Ad in my email but the sale is over on the intel with free mobo.

I LOVE MICROCENTER!!! I got my moms Phenom II 840 there and the biostar a780 mobo for 100 such an awesome deal!

Back