• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Requesting profile for 2700k/asrock p67 extreme6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieRock

Hello everyone!

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to OC'ing and thus requesting help.

My goal is to get to around 4.4 -4.5 GHZ on air cooled.

I am not a gamer but use this system to render video files.

Does someone have a profile (that you are willing to share) to get me to my goal?

My specs:
Intel i7 2700k 3,4GHz / 8MB / Socket 1155
Mobo: ASRock p67 Extreme 6
RAM: Corsair XMS3 Vengeance 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (4x4GB) (CL9)
HDD: OCZ 60GB Vertex 2 E Series SATA II 2.5" (SSD)

Other than some Artic silver cooling paste everything is pretty much stock. Willing to change the cooler if need be.

I can move around the BIOS or AXTU without help, but that's about where my expertise ends :p

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Forum!:welcome: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=491697

The bios looks like the bios' in this thread. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671906
Leave the voltage and dram settings alone for now.
Adjust the cpu settings to the settings in the gd55 thread.
CPU Ratio to "manual" and bump up the max ratio.
Then run a benchmark or stress test program to test stability.
If it passes, bump up till it doesn't.
It should do pretty well at stock voltage.
Is that a "2700k" or 2600k?

Welcome to the Forum!:welcome: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=491697

The bios looks like the bios' in this thread. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671906
Leave the voltage and dram settings alone for now.
Adjust the cpu settings to the settings in the gd55 thread.
CPU Ratio to "manual" and bump up the max ratio.
Then run a benchmark or stress test program to test stability.
If it passes, bump up till it doesn't.
It should do pretty well at stock voltage.
Is that a "2700k" or 2600k?

Hey!
Thanks for replying! And thanks for the welcome!

This is my processor:
http://www.webhallen.com/hardvara/127474-intel_core_i7-2600k_3.4ghz-8mb-socket_1155

a 2600k, I guess the i7 confused me :)

I'm loving it! It renders nearly 3 times as fast as my i5 laptop!

Will check out the gd55 thread.

Was confused if I should touch the voltages thingy, and the dram settings (I know my MB supports higher RAM clock speeds: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67 Extreme6)

Will write back as I make the changes and / or if anything goes wrong.

Cheers!

I have the same motherboard. With a lapped TRUE 120 w 2 noctua fans I choose the 4.6GHz overclock. Temps were getting high though. But lower the vcore and the temps will drop _ALOT_. I'd recommend a 4.2-4.3Ghz overclock though and not much higher.

I have the same motherboard. With a lapped TRUE 120 w 2 noctua fans I choose the 4.6GHz overclock. Temps were getting high though. But lower the vcore and the temps will drop _ALOT_. I'd recommend a 4.2-4.3Ghz overclock though and not much higher.

Hey!
Thanks for replying my long lost twin!:clap:

Mind giving me the exact settings you are using? It would make a whole chunk of my confusion disappear.:fight:

Thanks in advance!

I made a thread just recently although with 4.8GHz. I also got my 2600K from Webhallen. You might be lucky and also get a chip like mine. As it seems to be one of the good chips. :D

I also jumped from a S775 system. There are pre-configured profiles you can use in the UEFI. But make sure you check out what VCore people run. And then just change that setting. That's basically what I have done all along ^_^ No problem at all at overclocking this CPU. ;)

Core i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz was possible with something like 1.25 vcore, or maybe it was 1.3? Just google. "2600k 4.2ghz volt core" ^_^ good luck and good night

I made a thread just recently although with 4.8GHz. I also got my 2600K from Webhallen. You might be lucky and also get a chip like mine. As it seems to be one of the good chips. :D

I also jumped from a S775 system. There are pre-configured profiles you can use in the UEFI. But make sure you check out what VCore people run. And then just change that setting. That's basically what I have done all along ^_^ No problem at all at overclocking this CPU. ;)

Core i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz was possible with something like 1.25 vcore, or maybe it was 1.3? Just google. "2600k 4.2ghz volt core" ^_^ good luck and good night
Hey!
I have actually been searching for these "profiles" but have given up.
It looks like it is possible, but there is no "repository" of these profiles to be found anywhere :(

You could always just enter the settings manually, then create your own profile :)

Overclocking is trial and error, and definately hands on, you will learn a bunch, and it will also show you what your machine can do.. It might be able to beat out someones preset profile, and it could just as easily go the other way, and it would need some changes from a preset profile to make it stable.. No cheating! :cool:

I would suggest reading a guide or two, take notes, and let er rip :thup:

You could always just enter the settings manually, then create your own profile :)

Overclocking is trial and error, and definately hands on, you will learn a bunch, and it will also show you what your machine can do.. It might be able to beat out someones preset profile, and it could just as easily go the other way, and it would need some changes from a preset profile to make it stable.. No cheating! :cool:

I would suggest reading a guide or two, take notes, and let er rip :thup:

I really do get that but I am trying to cheat a bit.:p

I figured I can take a working profile and then tinker with those settings, at worst I just jump back to that working profile and I still have a nice OC'ed stable machine, at best I beat that profile by a few hertz.:attn:

I really don't want to start tinkering from ground zero because I'm a bit scared I'll burn something.:burn:

Nah you wont burn anything, I havent even seen a SB system in person, but I kick the crap out of my 32nm cpu and she lurves me for it :)

Anyways, point Im getting at is baby steps :) back in the day we moved say 20-60mhz at a time, if you did that now adays youd be there forever if the cpu could do 5ghz lol.

And besides! All you have to do is keep bumping the multi up and add voltage here and there, the system you have right now is supposed to be the easiest system to oc ever created :D

Sandybridge is easy to overclock. I got excited when I read the first post "2700K is out neat!" but alas it was a typo :).

You don't really need profiles for this platform, even if they existed. It is very simple.
You can USUALLY get 4.5Ghz out of your first whack in the bios.

Are you familiar with how to do it?

Nah you wont burn anything, I havent even seen a SB system in person, but I kick the crap out of my 32nm cpu and she lurves me for it :)

Anyways, point Im getting at is baby steps :) back in the day we moved say 20-60mhz at a time, if you did that now adays youd be there forever if the cpu could do 5ghz lol.

And besides! All you have to do is keep bumping the multi up and add voltage here and there, the system you have right now is supposed to be the easiest system to oc ever created :D

Yep, I was advised to start at 4ghz and then up it by 50 till I get what i wanted and it gets unstable then drop it to when it was stable.

The add voltage part is what confuses me, some say don't touch the voltage if aiming for 4.4 to 4.5 (which is what I am aiming for) on air, others say a slight bump is needed (but dont say what "slight" is).

My MB also can support RAM OC'ing but some say don't touch that while other threads speak about bumping that.

See why I am confused?

This is the first system I am trying to OC and I bought SB (after a lot of reading) because it's supposed to be the easiest to OC. My last MB was an Asus which I had trouble with so I had to give it back, but I bought that because it came with "preset" OC settings... unfortunately, this MB does not come with such settings (that I am aware of) so am a bit stuck and confused.:rain:

Sandybridge is easy to overclock. I got excited when I read the first post "2700K is out neat!" but alas it was a typo :).
Sorry bout that!

Are you familiar with how to do it?

I thought I was, but after a lot of reading I have confused the heck out of myself and dont know how to do it... :(

If someone can walk me through it, I can take out pics every step of the way...

Slight bump is just that, bump it up a notch or two then retest, its super easy, when you actually get down to doing it you will be like doh! he was right :)

I would futz with your memory once you know what your cpu can do.

I know its confuseing, but once you take the time to familiarize yourself with the process, its just like rideing a bike :)

It is the easiest to OC.

Make sure your RAM is at the stock settings, 1T not 2T (so if it says 9 9 9 24 1600Mhz 1.5V, enter that exactly in bios). 2T made the SB mem controller angry when I tried it. YMMV.

It isn't necessary to drop your RAM while overclocking the CPU with sandy bridge as it is not necessary to move the baseclock.

Now turn off E1ST, Speedstep, and turbo (if your mobo will let you). Leave hyper threading on, of course, otherwise you just have a 2500K.

Set 4Ghz with stock voltage. SHOULD be ok. Download CORE TEMP and PRIME 95. Run prime 95 in 'blend' mode for a couple of hours and if that does not give errors, set to 4.5Ghz and set the voltage to 1.35V, which should be more than enough, and repeat.

(Ignore people who tell you not to move voltage. Up to 1.4 is ULTRA safe 1.45 is very safe and 1.5 is reasonably safe based on peoples experience up to this point with sandybridge).

If you are successfully stable for several hours of blend at 4.5Ghz and 1.35V, you can

1) say you're happy at that speed, start lowering voltage to find the lowest stable voltage at that speed (thus producing less heat)

2) say you want more, and try for 4.6, 7, etc until you either hit the 'I dont want to volt any higher' wall or the 'I can't get this frickin thing stable at this speed' wall.

*** If you do play to exceed stock voltage, ie, over 4Ghz (usually), get an aftermarket cooler. And use MX2/3/4, Shin Etsu, or Indigo Xtreme as they are better than AS5 :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys!
And thanks for the to-do list Theocnoob, will write back after I try some of the stuff you outlined!

Cheers guys!
(Hello SB, here I come... get your running shoes ready baby!!!)

It is the easiest to OC.

Make sure your RAM is at the stock settings, 1T not 2T (so if it says 9 9 9 24 1600Mhz 1.5V, enter that exactly in bios). 2T made the SB mem controller angry when I tried it. YMMV.

It isn't necessary to drop your RAM while overclocking the CPU with sandy bridge as it is not necessary to move the baseclock.

Now turn off E1ST, Speedstep, and turbo (if your mobo will let you). Leave hyper threading on, of course, otherwise you just have a 2500K.

Set 4Ghz with stock voltage. SHOULD be ok. Download CORE TEMP and PRIME 95. Run prime 95 in 'blend' mode for a couple of hours and if that does not give errors, set to 4.5Ghz and set the voltage to 1.35V, which should be more than enough, and repeat.

(Ignore people who tell you not to move voltage. Up to 1.4 is ULTRA safe 1.45 is very safe and 1.5 is reasonably safe based on peoples experience up to this point with sandybridge).

If you are successfully stable for several hours of blend at 4.5Ghz and 1.35V, you can

1) say you're happy at that speed, start lowering voltage to find the lowest stable voltage at that speed (thus producing less heat)

2) say you want more, and try for 4.6, 7, etc until you either hit the 'I dont want to volt any higher' wall or the 'I can't get this frickin thing stable at this speed' wall.

*** If you do play to exceed stock voltage, ie, over 4Ghz (usually), get an aftermarket cooler. And use MX2/3/4, Shin Etsu, or Indigo Xtreme as they are better than AS5 :)
:screwy:

Lets take this on a point by point basis...

1T or 2T works fine. Set this value to whatever your MEMORY is (You can check in CPuz SPD tab).

Run prime 95 in 'blend' mode for a couple of hours and if that does not give errors, set to 4.5Ghz and set the voltage to 1.35V, which should be more than enough, and repeat.
'blend' tests some memory and CPU. Though your memory should be fine, you want to test the CPU, which SMALL FFT does a better job of.

No. 1.5v is way too much for 24/7 voltage. That's ~.4 over stock on a 32nm chip. Personally, i wouldnt go more than 1.4 or so for 24/7 keeping temps in the 70's while stress testing.

Back