• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 970 w Asus sabertoothX58 Mobo OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Remlore

Registered
Hello everyone! Well after I did a 2600K overclock with success, i'm a little stumped on this one. If anyone is familiar with this combo, what are the best settings in the bios to achieve a stable 4.00 - 4.3 ghz over-clock? I've got up to 4.00 ghz, but it's running too hot at 100% load 3.8Ghz < 74C
100% load 4.0Ghz reached 75C min on one threads to 85C on another of the threads.
Running:

Asus sabertoothX58 mobo (latest bios)
6 Gigs Tri-channel mode, using Kingston HyperX mem 12800 DDR3 @ 1.65v - XMP mode (bios settings)
200mhz BCLK
1603mhz DDR3 Frequency
20x cpu mult
1.325v @ cpu
speed step is off
turbo is off
QPI Auto (CPU-Z says it's running @ 3600)
Stock Heatsink on High RPM mode...
Push Pull Case Fan Setup (in bottom, out top)
Rosewell 600 Watt PSU 2x Rails 12V 25amp per rail
Nvidia 240 GT Video Card (don't need badass video card in this system, for rendering mainly on a network, stable with software and
doesn't draw that much amps, no pci 6 needed)

Been using it on the renderfarm as a client node, works great @ 3.8, but 4.0 starts to get a little hot... I would like to get 4.3 like some
people posted, using stock heatsink and getting normal temps.

Need some help on this one.
thanx!

:fight:

Last edited:
that seems about right to me.

my 970 with the stock heatsink does 4.2ghz at 1.275v. if i turn my case fans down while running p95, the temps will creep up over 85c, then p95 fails. if i keep the case fans going full blast, it will get to around 83-84c and p95 will run for 12+ hours like that.

yes, i am at higher clocks than you, but i am also at a much lower vcore. for reference, i can run 4.4ghz with 1.325v. my temps shoot up and make p95 not feasible, but i can game and do other CPU intensive tasks.

you say you'd like 4.3 using the stock heatsink getting normal temps. as you're finding, "normal temps" are holding you back big time. you'll need better cooling or a better 970 for your goals.

that seems about right to me.

my 970 with the stock heatsink does 4.2ghz at 1.275v. if i turn my case fans down while running p95, the temps will creep up over 85c, then p95 fails. if i keep the case fans going full blast, it will get to around 83-84c and p95 will run for 12+ hours like that.

yes, i am at higher clocks than you, but i am also at a much lower vcore. for reference, i can run 4.4ghz with 1.325v. my temps shoot up and make p95 not feasible, but i can game and do other CPU intensive tasks.

you say you'd like 4.3 using the stock heatsink getting normal temps. as you're finding, "normal temps" are holding you back big time. you'll need better cooling or a better 970 for your goals.

Thank you for the info. I'm glad you're getting 4.4ghz and can do somethings (other than p95 feasible). What cooling rig would you recommend? I tried 4.4 and the computer locked up at the windows login screen. 4.2 worked for a bit, then crashed during a cinbench11 test.

Last edited:
you can't really go wrong with the noctua nh-d14 or a thermalright silver arrow.

i'm going to be getting a silver arrow sometime myself.

according to this next comparison, the thermalright got overwhelmed at a certain point and shoots up to 100c. that was at 4.4ghz, 1.45v. before that, at 4.2ghz and 1.35v, the thermalright was showing to be slightly better than the noctua. but then it falls on its face where the noctua keeps on chugging.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/thermalright_silver_arrow_vs_noctua_nh-d14/2
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/thermalright_silver_arrow_vs_noctua_nh-d14/2

Last edited:
Back