• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would a move from an nVidia Gtx295 to an Ati HD6950 be worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

milomak

Especially if I do the BIOS upgrade to a 6970?

Is it worth it for the DX11 games?

There aren't many DX11 games. The ones there are barely take advantage of DX11 at this point. The use of things like tesselation in actual games up to this point is sadly minimal.

Yes there are times the flash doesn't work. Mainly if you have a non reference PCB (it doesn't say AMD on the actual board) it won't work.

It's a HUGE performance increase from the 295 to the 6950. Also a lot less heat. I think it's worth it.

I am not sure what the guy was talking when he said "huge improvement" over GTX295.
Having tested both HD6950 and GTX280 in many games i can clearly say, that if SLI will work 100 %, then GTX295 will be equal to HD6950.

But anyway, definitely upgrade to HD6950, because new games, that come out, typically don't have good SLI support early, and it takes a long time to release patches and drivers just to get a good SLI performace. And it is not because of DX11 that you should upgrade - no way, that is the least important thing.

I am not sure what the guy was talking when he said "huge improvement" over GTX295.
Having tested both HD6950 and GTX280 in many games i can clearly say, that if SLI will work 100 %, then GTX295 will be equal to HD6950.

But anyway, definitely upgrade to HD6950, because new games, that come out, typically don't have good SLI support early, and it takes a long time to release patches and drivers just to get a good SLI performace. And it is not because of DX11 that you should upgrade - no way, that is the least important thing.

I was about to recommend him an xfx 6950 2gb reference and then I noticed that you too have that card.

do you have the ref one? how is she clocking for you? mine is pushing 900/1400 on stock 6950 voltages with unlocked shaders and I wonder if it can go higher on stocks

well i would go for gtx295. i think physics are more visible then tesselation(dx11) and nvidia has a pretty good driver support for the sli problems. and one other thing: i saw somewhere that x2gpus such as gtx295 does not act like sli. they actually work as a single gpu.
i have 2 hd6870 cf and i cry everyday for that mistake.

here is the tiny list of dx11 games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

I was about to recommend him an xfx 6950 2gb reference and then I noticed that you too have that card.

do you have the ref one? how is she clocking for you? mine is pushing 900/1400 on stock 6950 voltages with unlocked shaders and I wonder if it can go higher on stocks

I am not overclocking my HD6950 at all - why would i? It eats every game i throw in like piece of cake. Besides, i had experience with XFX and know that the memory they put on their video cards is decent - it does not like overclocking. Stay away for ocing memory! As if you don't have enough memory bandwidth already......................
Just OC the clock core.

i saw somewhere that x2gpus such as gtx295 does not act like sli. they actually work as a single gpu.

Nope, it's just SLI (or Crossfire) on a single card. Functionally identical to running two seperate cards, other than the part where it interfaces with the motherboard.

i was having an urge to get some new piece of technology.

i have repelled an urge to the new i7s over my 920. The next thing seemed to be a graphics card. i noticed that the 6970 was fairly robust and seemed to be reasonable in DX11 games. And also cost wise it would not be a huge layout.

I guess it depends what someone would offer for my current GTX295 before I decide if I will go ahead with this.

Back