• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon II X4 635 OC Safety Check

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Black C5 Z06

I was just wanting to check with the experts to make sure this is a safe 24/7 clock. It's been this way for about 24 hours now without so much as a hiccup. Stressed with Prime95, gamed on WoW for HOURS today and no instabilities at all.

Prime95 maxes the temps at 39* but I don't go over 24* while playing WoW.

I know in other threads these three tabs of CPU-z are always requested, but if I need to take shots of them while Prime95 is running, just let me know.

The only time I shut my rig down is when I go home for the weekend (in college), otherwise I leave it on. That's why I want to make sure this is a good, safe 24/7 OC.

OC1.jpg

That all looks pretty good so far. Your low max temps leave you a lot of room to raise vcore yet. 1.5v is considered safe vcore as long as core temps are not more than 55C. I'm guessing you could go to 3.5 or 3.6 if you want to push the vcore a little more and make a couple of other small changes. What is your CPU-NB votage at? Try 1.2v on that, give your ram a small one increment bump over stock, lower your HT Link speed to not more than 2000 and raise your NB (CPU-NB} speed to 2200-2400.

IMO prime95 doesn't stress the CPU as intensly as Intel Burn Test does right away... IBT raises those temps a lot quicker than Prime 95, whereas prime95 will slowly raise temps over time, but I like to use IBT run @ maximum for several(15 or more runs) benchmarks.

Use IBT to check where your temps really are at full load within a short time frame.

GL - I think you should be able to push a bit more out of your setup.

I will check and post a definite answer when I get back to my apartment, but I'm 97% sure it goes to 1.45V under load.

So I just typed out a long shpiel then when I hit post it times-out. Awesome. lol :p

Long story short, tried to go to 3.6, kept HTT in check, ram near stock speed, p95 instabilities had me upping voltage to CPU - 1.475, CPU-NB 1.25, RAM - 1.7. Instabilities were never thermal related because I never saw temps exceed 39* before it would crash.

When I exited the BIOS after last change all the fans died momentarily (almost like I lost power) and board gave 2 long beeps before the short, normal beep it usually does. Went back to BIOS to make sure everything looked fine, it did, so I tried again...same result.

Went back to previous OC that has been 24/7 stable at 3.4 for two weeks and it wouldn't boot up on that.

Now I'm at stock until I figure out A) if I physically hurt a component or B) what in the hell happened.

So I just typed out a long shpiel then when I hit post it times-out. Awesome. lol :p

Long story short, tried to go to 3.6, kept HTT in check, ram near stock speed, p95 instabilities had me upping voltage to CPU - 1.475, CPU-NB 1.25, RAM - 1.7. Instabilities were never thermal related because I never saw temps exceed 39* before it would crash.

When I exited the BIOS after last change all the fans died momentarily (almost like I lost power) and board gave 2 long beeps before the short, normal beep it usually does. Went back to BIOS to make sure everything looked fine, it did, so I tried again...same result.

Went back to previous OC that has been 24/7 stable at 3.4 for two weeks and it wouldn't boot up on that.

Now I'm at stock until I figure out A) if I physically hurt a component or B) what in the hell happened.

Keep HT-LINK @ 2000MHz.
Ram should not exceed it's rated frequency, and keep it at 1.55v, 1.7v is too high for that memory, it's only rated for 1.5v. Also make sure memory timings are manually set in BIOS, using your "SPD" tab in CPU-Z to determine what you should be setting them to for the speed they are at.

Edit: Also make sure C1NE, Cool n" Quiet and spread spectrum are disabled for CPU.

Try pulling the 24 pin power and completely resetting CMOS. If that doesn't work, you may have a dead motherboard or more specifically a blown VRM system. Most AMD boards aren't cooled well enough around the mosfets and they tend to pop when really being pushed. Most dead boards will spin the fans for a second and then shutdown, or not even turn on at all.

It could also be a blown RAM module. Some are very picky and pushing it over the 1.65v will really put a strain on them.

Do you have any other componets or boards you can test with? It would be great if you could swap parts until you found the culprit.

Well I'm on it right now, but at 100% stock settings. So it can't be 100% dead.

I'll try resetting the CMOS in a bit and see if I can go back to my old OC settings. Will update.

Back