• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

removing heat sink from video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peter p

How do you remove and install a larger heat sink on a video card? Is there some special adhesive to attach a heat sink back onto the video card.
Will more cooling give me higher overclocks? I'm trying to overclock a tnt2 m64 video card so, I can get higher benchmarks, I see on 3Dmark 2001, that with the same card they are getting up to 1800, I'm only at 1000. Will more cooling give me higher marks?

peter p said:
How do you remove and install a larger heat sink on a video card? Is there some special adhesive to attach a heat sink back onto the video card.
Will more cooling give me higher overclocks? I'm trying to overclock a tnt2 m64 video card so, I can get higher benchmarks, I see on 3Dmark 2001, that with the same card they are getting up to 1800, I'm only at 1000. Will more cooling give me higher marks?

What kind of card is it? Some have push pins, while others are glued on. Like Xprincox mentioned Arctic Silver adhesive will do the job nicely, but if your going to affix ramsinks, Arctic Alumina adhesive is the safest solution as its ceramic based and not silver based, not to mention not being electricly capacitive.

Better cooling wont get you a higher mark in 3dmark200.., but better cooling allows you to overclock the core and memory settings which does increase your 3Dmark200.. score.

:rolleyes:

If your having trouble getting the HSF off, put it in a bag, into the freezer for 20 mins, take a credit card and it should pop right off.

Zuck Gou :) said:
If your having trouble getting the HSF off, put it in a bag, into the freezer for 20 mins, take a credit card and it should pop right off.

are u serius?...................................

I did that with my Geforce 2 GTS too. My mom gave me a really funny look when I told her that my graphics card was sitting in the freezer :D I only did it for 10 min though, but I"m sure 20 min will be better.

I just removed the hs off my 7200 today. Took a playing card (joker i believe) and a flathead screw driver. Turned it about 70 degrees and it snapped off easily. No mess, no fuss. A bit of rubbing alcohol and the remaining glue came out too. Easy as pie :)

I removed my VooDoo's heat sink by running 3dmark2K for about a half hour, then used a flathead screwdriver wrapped with electrical tape to pry it off, by using a twisting motion. i worked slowly going around the whole heatsink, rather than trying to pry it off entirely by one side. Mine was probably a little harder to get off than most seeing as the card is old, and the adhesive had time to really harden. In retrospect, I think I should have used the freezer method, but it came off anyways without damage to the card, so I'm happy. Which ever way you choose to do it, just remember to go slowly and be careful.

The freezer trick really works, I just did it today...;)

Got it nice and cold, put a Old Navy giftcard under the 'sink, a small flathead screwdriver inbetween the 'sink and the card, alittle twist and off it came. Then proceeded to scrape the rest of the thermal pad off with the card, and the stuff that didn't ball up and flake off I got off with nail polish remover and rubbing alcohol.

i do believe the 8500 has the push pins, so you won't need any adhesive. But you'll still need to use some AS. And i don't think pennies will do the trick as the superglue doesn't tranfer heat very well. Tho some AS adhesive might do the trick... :D

I have a Retail 8500, and it DOES NOT have push pins, sucker is glued on.....don't know about the OEM's....

wtf am i gonna do now. i dont have any adhesive, can i pick
some up at comp USA??

Back