• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P67 generally compatible with Ubuntu 10.10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Has the P67 been out long enough for support from Ubuntu. I wanted to save my last Win 7 key.

I used to have a list of compatible Motherboards, Its a an Msi P67 G65, I am checking on. Just going to use it for Folding @ home.

11.04 will be out soon as well, I think its set for the 29th. I am running mythbuntu 11.04 since alpha 2. Its had a few bumps but overall no complaints now

That's great! Thanks, I'll get the nice performance boost Linux is providing. :)
Just need to hide the rig in the closet so the wife doesn't see it.. :)

Dave,

I mostly run Debian(testing) on my folding rigs, I've only briefly run Linux Mint a while back(v.5 or 6) on an HTPC.

I don't get overly ambitious with overclocking, so I'm mostly concerned with temps, which I monitor with lm-sensors. I usually go with middle range memory( no valu-ram or xtreme) and run it @stock clocks & voltage. I always try to get a 'decent' OC so as to be in line for the bonus points, but rarely push higher, as temps are an ever present worry for me.

Of course, when mbentley gets the 64 bit version of Overclockix available, that will be my distro-of-choice. ;)

Anyone have any problems installing with USB 3.0 port(I am using a 3.0 Usb drive)? I got this message. Switched to one of the USB 2.0 ports and it worked OK. The drive had worked fine on x58 (2.0 port) I also remade it with 11.04 Beta, hoping that might fix the problem, no help.

Attachments

• Usb 3.0 problem.JPG
    Usb 3.0 problem.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 387
The installer probably doesn't have the xhci module included. USB 1.0-2.0 share the same driver, but 3.0 uses a new one.

The installer probably doesn't have the xhci module included. USB 1.0-2.0 share the same driver, but 3.0 uses a new one.
This has to be a known issue, I'll go look on the Ubuntu forums. I wanted to replace the need for a HD.

Can you add that in yourself, to make it work?

Hmm.. seems they are claiming support in 11.04. It just doesn't occur until after installation, I guess. Hopefully it will be added to support the "Live" in the final 11 version. http://askubuntu.com/questions/12139/does-ubuntu-support-usb-3-0

Last edited:
This has to be a known issue, I'll go look on the Ubuntu forums. I wanted to replace the need for a HD.

Can you add that in yourself, to make it work?

Hmm.. seems they are claiming support in 11.04. It just doesn't occur until after installation, I guess. Hopefully it will be added to support the "Live" in the final 11 version. http://askubuntu.com/questions/12139/does-ubuntu-support-usb-3-0

EDIT: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1628665

Maybe the driver just didn't get included in the initramfs? If you can find somebody else with the same kernel version as your installer, you could ask them to build a fresh initramfs (and make sure it has the xhci driver), and copy that to your installer... :shrug:

Back