Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC *** READ THIS FIRST ***

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 07:42 AM   #21
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
I was really hoping this link Hokie just wrote would stay at the TOP of the current posts, in BIG BIG red BLING letters, and not buried in the sticky link. We know how little peeps start there. They spend 20 min typing the first question that are so easily answered by spending 20 minutes reading. Saves ALL of us time and effort..

So, can it become the first post forever in the posts? And not lost somewhere?
I sticked it, put some capital letter text with asterisks and made it the only yellow-text thread (frontpage), but you know how stickies are. I fear it will receive less exposure than a random thread. Unfortunately you can't format subject lines with color/bold. Hope this helps a little at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace. View Post
Good Work Buddy
Thank you very much!

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-18-11, 12:42 PM   #22
robertcutshall

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
robertcutshall is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-18-11, 12:55 PM   #23
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Is that a flow meter between your CPU & NB blocks?

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-18-11, 01:00 PM   #24
robertcutshall

yes i thought that was the best place for it..lol
still waiting on do cooling on video cards and mem..
Old 04-18-11, 01:27 PM   #25
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Honestly, next time you do a tear down, take the thing out. It's not going to do you a bit of good. If you have enough flow, your temps will be fine. If you don't, they'll be too high. If your pump stops, you'll know when your CPU throttles. All they do for you is restrict flow IMHO.

Also, don't bother with memory unless you just want it for looks. Modern memory doesn't get hot enough to justify the restriction you'd put in your loop. At least IMHO.

Old 04-18-11, 01:29 PM   #26
robertcutshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
Honestly, next time you do a tear down, take the thing out. It's not going to do you a bit of good. If you have enough flow, your temps will be fine. If you don't, they'll be too high. If your pump stops, you'll know when your CPU throttles. All they do for you is restrict flow IMHO.

Also, don't bother with memory unless you just want it for looks. Modern memory doesn't get hot enough to justify the restriction you'd put in your loop. At least IMHO.
ok thanks for the info
Old 04-18-11, 02:01 PM   #27
MIAHALLEN

Dude Jeremy...you've totally outdone yourself with this one

Everytime I read something I wanted to criticize, I'd continue on, and you'd address my concern in the next paragraph. Very well written, and exceptionally thorough.

The only criticisms fall on your editors; the titles/headings/sub-headings could be improved a little IMO.

Great work

MIAHALLEN is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-18-11, 02:08 PM   #28
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Thank you very much! I'm as much to blame for those items as any. We're somewhat limited with our heading options and some look too similar to others. Now, if you were referring to their wording, I'm happy to entertain changes. Let me know what you had in mind.

Old 04-18-11, 04:04 PM   #29
MIAHALLEN

Ah, a couple more things.

Mention running multiple pumps in series.

When talking about tubing, I would mention the difference between 1/16" walls and 1/8" walls, the advantages/disadvantages of each size....and you might also mention that (contrary to popular belief) the most kink resistant size is 3/8" ID 5/8" OD

Last edited by MIAHALLEN; 04-18-11 at 04:09 PM.
MIAHALLEN is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-18-11, 04:05 PM   #30
m0r7if3r
Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAHALLEN View Post
Ah, one more thing. When talking about tubing, I would mention the difference between 1/16" walls and 1/8" walls, the advantages/disadvantages of each size....and you might also mention that (contrary to popular belief) the most kink resistant size is 3/8" ID 5/8" OD
I've heard the best is 1/2"x5/8" with antikink coils

Heat
m0r7if3r is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-18-11, 04:11 PM   #31
MIAHALLEN

I'm talking about bare tube (no coils)....bringing coils into the discussion might change things a bit

....or are you just being a PITA?

Old 04-18-11, 04:40 PM   #32
m0r7if3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAHALLEN View Post
....or are you just being a PITA?
I'm appalled, I would never...

But no, I'm actually genuinely interested in what tubing combination gives you the best turn radius...haven't seen much on it since the testing over at XS, which didn't include any kink coil testing

Heat
Old 04-18-11, 05:10 PM   #33
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

Thanks for the input miah! Will work on getting that in as time allows.
Old 04-18-11, 05:44 PM   #34
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

The thicker the walls, the less likely to kink.

3/8" ID 5/8" OD has 2/8" 1/8" thick walls. 1/2" (4/8") ID 5/8" OD has 1/8" 1/16" thick walls.

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (98-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build

Last edited by MattNo5ss; 04-18-11 at 05:55 PM.
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-18-11, 05:51 PM   #35
QuietIce
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNo5ss View Post

3/8" ID 5/8" OD has 2/8" (1/4") thick walls. 1/2" (4/8") ID 5/8" OD has 1/8" thick walls.
Actually, it's only half those numbers, 1/8" and 1/16" thick, because there are two walls per diameter.

Adding coils to the outside changes that, though, so 1/16" thick tubing with coils, like 1/2-5/8", won't kink as easily as tubing with 1/8" walls but no coils.
QuietIce is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-18-11, 05:53 PM   #36
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietIce View Post
Actually, it's only half those numbers, 1/8" and 1/16" thick, because there are two walls per diameter.
Oops, edited

But, yeah, 3/8"x5/8" has twice wall thickness.

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (98-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-18-11, 07:56 PM   #37
m0r7if3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNo5ss View Post

3/8" ID 5/8" OD has 2/8" 1/8" thick walls. 1/2" (4/8") ID 5/8" OD has 1/8" 1/16" thick walls.
I think the reasoning is that the tubing itself will only bend so much, thinner tubing will bend more, so if you force it to not kink, you can get a tighter turn...

Heat
Old 04-18-11, 08:07 PM   #38
robertcutshall

i use the 3/8 tubing on my system...

Old 04-23-11, 10:27 AM   #39
Spotswood

Thanks for the mention.

Old 04-23-11, 10:40 AM   #40
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator

You deserve it; your cases are fantastic!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop