• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best MOBO for SATA III SSD??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

urboy4mbx

Registered
Guys,

I am about to purchase a MOBO and SSD from Newegg (exited!). There are 2 SSD 120GB drives that interest me, either OCZ Vertex 3 or Intel 510 Series. Now I heard that not all motherboards will use its SATA III feature with the SSD even if says is supported. I am not sure if this is true but I would like some recommendation please. I am thinking about getting a GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 for my new build, but still are not sure after hearing this comments from other buyers. please advice.

Thank You!!!

that motherboard does run sata III yes.

The motherboard does support the sata III but the question is if the 6/GBs Marvell controller supports the sata III SSD drives. I was reading the reviews on newegg and a few people stated that this was a problem.

Alot of boards are running the Marvell 9128 controller for SATA III....but the 9128 sucks *** and caps out at 400/200 in ATTO.

The Marvell 9182 (yes, 9182 not 9128) can handle the fastest SSD's out right now and you won't hit any walls. Most P67 board's and the newer 1366 (rampage 3 extreme black edition) have the 9182 as well. Hope that helped.

Btw...go with the Vertex 3, it destroys the 510 in benchmarks

Alot of boards are running the Marvell 9128 controller for SATA III....but the 9128 sucks *** and caps out at 400/200 in ATTO.

The Marvell 9182 (yes, 9182 not 9128) can handle the fastest SSD's out right now and you won't hit any walls. Most P67 board's and the newer 1366 (rampage 3 extreme black edition) have the 9182 as well. Hope that helped.

Btw...go with the Vertex 3, it destroys the 510 in benchmarks

thank alot!!:rock: I will definitely get the Marvell 9182 controller. hopefully it will be easy for me to find out which MOBO has one by reading the manual.

do you have any MOBO suggestions??

Thanks in advance. :santa:

just FYI it has two ports for 6g or sata III which means it on the intel ICH. if you find a board it more then two ports it will have some add-on chip for more sata III/6g ports.

how many do you need?

I should be fine with 2 6GB/s ports. This will be my main machine, I already have an older one which specs are posted on my signature. Therefore, no redundancy is needed on this new build but performance. I will have the OCZ Vertex 3 120GB drive, and maybe a second one for RAID0, but I want to make sure the performance is at it's best. This is the reason why I asked for advice on the best SSD and MOBO combo.

Back