• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Boot Up Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kr3wtraveler

Having trouble with booting up this new system for the first time. When I hit the power button on the tower, a light flashes on the motherboard, and the CPU fan, and the cooling fan sort of sputter, but don't really start. I cut the power as soon as possible to avoid damaging the CPU. Any idea what's gone wrong? Parts are as follow:
Corsair 650watt PSU
MSI|P67A-G43 (B3) P67 LGA1155 R
CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R
VGA XFX|HD-577A-ZNFC HD5770 RT
HD 500G|SAMSUNG HD502HJ % - OEM
8 gigs Kingston HyperX RAM

Any help much appreciated.

Do you have either the 4-pin or 8-pin AUX12V plug from the PSU connected to the 8-pin CPU power connector on the board?

My brother and I accidently fried a 775 Gigabyte mobo back in the day.
We forgot the rubber/plastic pins that raise the motherboard up from the case.
Oops =/ rookie mistake.
Long time ago hehe.

What red said.. also check for loose connections everywhere. Reseat the heatsink and memory. Does the mobo have any indicators things are OK before you power on such as status lights for ram/cpu being found etc.

You won't fry anything if its not even posting.

You know the first time a system posts it flashes, spools up, dies, waits 3 seconds, then spools back up right? It sounds like your system is trying to post for the first time and you're screwing with it :). Turn it on, walk away. It'll work.

You know the first time a system posts it flashes, spools up, dies, waits 3 seconds, then spools back up right? It sounds like your system is trying to post for the first time and you're screwing with it :). Turn it on, walk away. It'll work.

It's normal (at least with the Asus P5Q family) when you turn it on after it's been unplugged or just plugged in for the first time.

One of mine does turns on/off (or appears to) and then back on whenever I make changes to the bios.

Back