• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a AMD Box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Comes to $770 after all mail in rebates. Some compromises made with he motherboard and case to remain within budget. Just a thought but a 2500k build will be about $40 more.

You could cut a bit more off by going with a 1075T/1055T, as well as getting a smaller HDD.

BTW what is this going to be used for?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
You forgot the CPU cooler. Surely you wouldn't leave him to the stock cooler.

You forgot the CPU cooler. Surely you wouldn't leave him to the stock cooler.
Cooler Master hyper 212+. It was $26.50 w/free shipping yesterday on Amazon. Today it's $28.91. Who knows what it will be tomorrow. But it usually is significantly less than the Egg which now lists it at $35 + $7.56 shipping. :sly: I've read that this is a great cooler at this (<$30) price though you can get better coolers for more $$$.

I looked at the Mobo specs and to my eyes it looks pretty good. Of course almost anything looks good compared to mine (which does meet all of my needs.) As long as I don't want a processor that uses more than 95W. :rolleyes: I do have one question about this. With the Bulldozer chips soon to drop (months?), what is the advisability of selecting a mobo that has the capability to upgrade to AM3+. I see that Newegg lists one. It seems to me that would be a good step toward futureproofing the build. Stuff it with an AM3 CPU today and upgrade when you need more down the line. The board is a little more expensive, but one could buy a lesser AM3 processor with the plan to upgrade when it no longer supports your needs. Of course that presumes that today's upgradeable mobos support Bulldozer as well as motherboards specifically designed for Bulldozer and I wonder how likely that is.

And FWIW, I was pretty much planning to get a mid level SandyBridge upgrade (mobo/proc/RAM/HSF) when Newegg listed an AM3 mobo/RAM for $75 shipped. I added a CPU and HSF for a little more than what a 2500K would have cost at Microcenter (and less than the Newegg price.)

Actualy trying to trade my laptop for a tower...guy has a dual xeon processor machine 3.2 he wants to trade me but need to think about it since thsi is a newer laptop

Actualy trying to trade my laptop for a tower...guy has a dual xeon processor machine 3.2 he wants to trade me but need to think about it since thsi is a newer laptop

Specs on the machine?

Also I have updated the build with suggestions made above, had to downgrade to 500gb hdd. Price comes to $810 with rebates. Pretty much the best you can get at that price. Also if you are not going to be overclocking the stock heatsink is more than enough so your price w/o aftermarket cooling will be $780.

BTW Socom 4 is PS3 only.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 167
Actually its a dell precision workstation 650 tag # FNN1F51 you can see specs there but i think i should not do this trade....but let me know what you guys think...

im even willing to settle for a dual core if i have too....would like a core 2 duo or maybe if im lucky a quad core...but ill keep looking

im even willing to settle for a dual core if i have too....would like a core 2 duo or maybe if im lucky a quad core...but ill keep looking

For your budget you should definitely be able to get a quad core setup. Gimme a sec I'll spec out another rig for you.

$30 more can get you a 1055T X6, but this comes to $790 after rebates. Only compromise made here is the case and cpu.

Attachments

• Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Heh... a Precision 650 would still have Pentium-4 based Xeons, and an AGP (no PCI-Express) slots. For gaming, it would meet the minimum requirements for approximately 0 games that have come out in the past few years. You'd be better off with your laptop!

Here's another option : I've oriented this build to the "budget" side of the equation. Really, CSS and BlackOps won't even test a cheaper machine like this. But it should hold for many newer titles as well:

pcamd.png

You can see, I've included a CPU/motherboard combo - not high-end stuff, but entirely sufficient, and should get you by with a bit of overclocking, too. I've included lower-latency DDR3-1600 RAM for just a bit of OC headroom, as well. Two hard disks, to keep a system image of your main drive once you get everything installed - I do this on nearly every PC I build now. It's cheap insurance.

This build also comes with about $20 in promo codes to enter at checkout - shipped price should be right about $775 (since my screen shot didn't get shipping prices included). Oh, and this includes a copy of Windows 7, which is often times left out by folks. So if you don't need a new one, that's $100 off the total price right there.

lol seems like your laptop is a hot item in your area!!

That is not a good trade for you, it has a E2160 @ 1.8gHz vs your T8100 @ 2.1gHz. Technically your laptop is faster.

TBH you will not get a good trade, you are better off keeping your laptop and building a new pc. You could also sell your laptop and use the proceeds towards a new build.

I would say use pwnmachine's build but switch the HDD to a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...52185&cm_re=samsung_f3-_-22-152-185-_-Product

It'll be a little faster than the Caviar Black and about $25 cheaper. I've used them in several friends builds. Wish I had have known about them when I built my rig. With that savings you can get the hyper 212+ and give yourself room to OC.

Other than that, that is pretty much as good as you can do for that price range.

That AMD 640 build looks pretty good. I sold my 1090T and bought a 640 Propus to hold me over until Bulldozer hits. It's a great chip and being a C3, it overclocks fairly well. I'm looking for either a 1055T or 1090T again though because I just miss having the X6 in my rig.

I would say use pwnmachine's build but switch the HDD to a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...52185&cm_re=samsung_f3-_-22-152-185-_-Product

It'll be a little faster than the Caviar Black and about $25 cheaper. I've used them in several friends builds. Wish I had have known about them when I built my rig. With that savings you can get the hyper 212+ and give yourself room to OC.

Other than that, that is pretty much as good as you can do for that price range.

+1 I have a spinpoint in my current rig going strong 3 years. I have used the WD in some rigs in the past and they are good as well, but I didn't realize the spinpoint was cheaper.

the system flyingrat put together seems to be about the best, considering pwnmachine omitted an OS in his builds and adding that in will push way over budget.

also, the games listed by the OP won't tax many machines, and the rig flying rat put together will crush.

Back