• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing your first radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great post Daemonkin!! Sticky worthy!

Thank's for spelling out what radiator I should choose, lol.

One question I have... if I decide a particular radiator can sufficiently cool 300 watts is it safe to assume that adding a second identical radiator in the loop will bump cooling capacity to 600 watts?

Basically, is the scaling of radiator size in a loop 1 to 1?

Great writeup, my one (minor) quip is that I think a discussion of the utility of the C/W numbers skinnee generates would be fantastically beneficial, since it will allow calculation of an exact (theoretical) dT. If you need help with that (or would like me to write it) feel free to PM me :)

EDIT: @thebski, scaling is 1 to 1 with wattage dissipation, but not with temps. the only thing that really pulls it off the 1 to 1 is the added restriction of an additional radiator, but 2 is darn close to doubling for the same pump.

Great writeup, my one (minor) quip is that I think a discussion of the utility of the C/W numbers skinnee generates would be fantastically beneficial, since it will allow calculation of an exact (theoretical) dT. If you need help with that (or would like me to write it) feel free to PM me :)
Thank you for the constructive criticism.

I thought about that quite a bit, but concluded that for a first timer it may not be all that important.

Skinnee does a great job of explaining C/W in the testing/methodology page, so if they do want more info it's right there for them.

If you really feel it would be better for this, I could certainly write up what I know, though I admit my understanding is limited on c/w.

Great start Daemonkin!

The blue is a bit too blue, I have tried to use it myself.

Thanks! Changed the text color to green. That blue really doesn't go well with the background. :thup:

I have a question about Thermal Watts.

I used the Formula to calculate the Thermal Watts put out by my CPU and GPUs and it seems odd to me that those 3 components are pumping out 623W of Heat...

CPU:
((95*4011)/2800)*(1.4^2/1.145^2)

136.0875 * 1.495

GPU:

((200*840)/800)*(1.1^2/1.1^2)

210 * 1

210​

GPU Final result will be x2 since i have 2.

Does my calculator suck at math???

The math is for just the CPU, it's completly diff on the GPUs.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/817-3/the-energy-consumption-of-93-graphics-cards.html

Best we got besides what you read other places.

I apologize. I didn't mean to put gpu on that formula. Conundrum is right, it's only for cpu.

Ahhh ok cool i was concerned about 600 :p

now its ~520 haha

But the XSPC Rad i was looking at has a 4.2 DT with my CPU at 203 Watts, and my GPUs at 160 a piece will give me a 6.66 DT for those.

I think im getting it now!! :D

EDIT: NVM i think i will go with the Swiftech 360 it has a 4.3 DT on the CPU and a 6.77 on GPU DT for about half as much haha

Last edited:
I think im getting it now!! :D

EDIT: NVM i think i will go with the Swiftech 360 it has a 4.3 DT on the CPU and a 6.77 on GPU DT for about half as much haha

Yep, now it gells in the new guys head. If we keep poung read read learn they get it!

Your Sir get a cookie!:salute:

You started thinking it was easy, then went 'Holy Batman! These guys are serious about figuring it out myself.

Great job, you have been enlightened and get it.

Pay attention to the build next, be carefull, take any moment to step back and review as you build. The build is part, no... The main FUN in what your doing.

Relax, take your time enjoy the touch of twisting every rotary, checking every screw fitting. Putting up with ordering the wrong stuff.

Yep, now it gells in the new guys head. If we keep poung read read learn they get it!

Your Sir get a cookie!:salute:

You started thinking it was easy, then went 'Holy Batman! These guys are serious about figuring it out myself.

Great job, you have been enlightened and get it.

Pay attention to the build next, be carefull, take any moment to step back and review as you build. The build is part, no... The main FUN in what your doing.

Relax, take your time enjoy the touch of twisting every rotary, checking every screw fitting. Putting up with ordering the wrong stuff.

Well reading for me was never a problem when i got my first set up i probably went over to skinnees maybe 4 or 5 times before i made my first loop. But now im getting almost new everything so i decided to do more research lol.

Also before i never took in to consideration DT, C/W and all that. My main goal is a DT under 5 for the CPU which all 360 rads seem to do aside from the Swifttech MCR360-QP which is right at 5 with mid speed Yates that i plan to get. I want the lowest DT for more OC tho I probably shouldnt care that much since its only at 5* above ambient at Idle..

Back