• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any P8P67 experts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RipD

Got a new P8P67 Pro last week and moved my 2600K into it. Nice board so far. There is a ton of good info out there about how to best o/c with this board and I've followed all the advice and some of the conflicting advice. I used the ASUS guide to o/c, and some of the info at the Xtreme site. I'm running well now at 4.74, but would really like to get this processor to 5.0 if possible.

My issue is that the trial and error I'm seeing isn't consistent with the recommendations I'm reading. I could use some help.

When I go to 4.8 I get a BSOD immediately when I apply any load (via OCCT or Prime95). So I went through the ASUS guide - still no good. I incrementally increased CPU voltage - that didn't help.

Then I kept the CPU volts high and played with the PLL volts. Some people say it needs to be lower to get a better o/c, some say higher. I took it incrementally from 1.7 to 1.88 - it didn't help.

I tried other settings at Auto, and then used the ASUS recommendations for 4.8 and above. No good.

Then I dropped back to 4.7 and could not get it run stable until I set PLL voltage back to auto. Once that was stable I raised my bclk to 103 and lowered my multi to 46 (vs. 100 and 47) and am now stable at 4.738. I now have a slight oc on my RAM as well.

Anybody with P8P67 have some ideas? Is this as far as this chip will go, or is there some option/combo I'm overlooking. I have the say that the PLL voltage is very perplexing to me. No idea why it runs on Auto but not at any set voltage I tried.

After I finish folding my current WU I may spend some time trying to lower my vcode - I'm still at 1.4 and have no idea if this is necessary.

My peak temp has been 79 under full load. Currently at ~70 while folding.

I would try setting the bclock and ram to stock and all voltages except cpu to auto. Then try 4.8 and see if you can get it stable with a decent core voltage. If so, then you can try 5.0...you can tweak the rest of the voltages down after you find the right core voltage.

Only a small percentage of K parts can do 5ghz according to Asus, and many of those that do need a core voltage that is not appropriate for 24/7 use without dramatically shortening the life of the CPU. In the end, getting to 5ghz may not be worth the effort except for benching and other uses that involve some risk.

Tried that at 4.7 and it's not stable.

What is ASUS calling appropriate? Most people are saying 1.45 is the limit. Some people seem to be going to 1.5 without any issues, but I'm not sure what that does to processor longevity.

The ASUS dude that gave the settings recommendations said that 1.425 vCore is max for 24/7 use.

With that limit in mind the highest my 2500k/P8P67 combo reaches stable is 4738 MHz. I can get it stable at 4.8 and 4.9 GHz as well, but that requires going significantly above the 1.425 vCore limit.

Tried that at 4.7 and it's not stable.

What is ASUS calling appropriate? Most people are saying 1.45 is the limit. Some people seem to be going to 1.5 without any issues, but I'm not sure what that does to processor longevity.

More volts the better cooling you need + the shorter the lifespan of the chip.

You "should" be able to get 4.7~4.8 on 1.38v pretty easy. I haven't personally seen a huge overall performance increase from 4.7 to 5.0 on my 2600k to warrant the extra volts / shorter lifespan but to each their own :D

The ASUS dude that gave the settings recommendations said that 1.425 vCore is max for 24/7 use.
I'd be more interested in what Intel has to say, but of course they are notoriously conservative. I've typically run high voltage and have never lost a processor. I guess I'll have to wait and see if anybody running at 1.45 or higher kills their processor. I typically donate my PCs after 3 years, so I'm not sure shorter lifetime is a big issue.

You "should" be able to get 4.7~4.8 on 1.38v pretty easy. I haven't personally seen a huge overall performance increase from 4.7 to 5.0 on my 2600k to warrant the extra volts / shorter lifespan but to each their own :D

6% difference, which I agree is small. I run the Folding@Home software. Most of us who do are a little fanatical about getting the most results we can, so I'll go for the extra 6% if I can get it.

Back