• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom DD Torture Rack Build Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ironman129

So I've been hanging out here for the last few months reading stickies, watching other people's build, asking questions, and I am finally ready for my first WC build. This is a pic of my build case:

DSC_0003.JPG

These are my compnonents:
Case: DD Torture Raack
CPU Block: Apogee XT Rev 2
GPU Block: MCW80
Pump: MCP35x with Res Rev 2
Rads: 2x MCR320
Fans: 6x Y.L. 120 medium speed
Tubing: 8' PrimoFlex Pro LRT 7/16 ID 5/8 OD
Fittings: 10x Bitspower Compression Fittings

Here is all is!

DSC_0001.JPG

The holes in my Rads didn't fir the Holes drilled in the case so i had to make an adjustment. Also Fit the PSU in there to see how much room it would take up. What am I going to do will all those wires!!!!

DSC_0016.JPG

Got the factory heatsink off the GPU and my old heat sink off the CPU. Cleaned them up and got them ready for the blocks.

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

Started with the GPU, seems the MCW80 fits nicely!

DSC_0019.JPG

The GPU is an XFX HD4890. And speaking of, we have our first hiccup. If I use the Bitspower compression fittings, they are too big for the heatsinks. So I either need to shave down the heatsinks around the block, or use their barbs and wormdrives. Any suggestions?

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

I could do that. I was originally planing on CF 2 HD4890s, and if i did that I would have to use extenders anyways. I would need 2 of them and that's another $30. Would I lose much by shaving down the heatsinks?

Another choice to make. On the CPU block, the barbs are too close together to use compression fittings, but Swiftech allows you to switch the orientation so they are further apart. Doing so reduces the flow. Does it make sense to switch the barbs to use compression fitting if you're just reducing the flow rate? Does anyone know how much you'll reduce the flow?

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

For the CPU block definitely either go with barbs or an extender, the XT is already pretty low flow, don't sacrifice more flow :)

So here's a sneak peak of what it'll look like in the end. Behind the DD grill is a 120 fan moving air over the HDDs. There will also be a Lamptron FC5v2 over the optical drives controlling all the fans. Other than that, just add the tubing! :attn:

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

So for the CPU use the barbs and wormdrives supplied. For the GPU I can get away with just shortening some of the heatsinks? With having that 120mm fan blowing air across the video card, you think that'll be enough to keep the rest of the card cool?

Alright. I think I'm ready for my flow test. Now everything is unplugged, but it says I'm supposed to jumper the 24pin green wire to any black wire. Anybody know if an easier way to start the pump?

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

Alright. I think I'm ready for my flow test. Now everything is unplugged, but it says I'm supposed to jumper the 24pin green wire to any black wire. Anybody know if an easier way to start the pump?

View attachment 94489

View attachment 94490

Dedicated lab grade 12v power supply! Realistically speaking, no. Just grab a paperclip, stick it in there and then flip the switch on your PSU

Every time I see a setup wrapped up like that I can't help but think of the comment some guy made when he reached this stage that was something to the effect of "It looks like it's that special time of the month for my pc" :rofl:

So after letting it run overnight, the only place that was wet was around the top of the res. The top doesn't seem to fit securely. I'll try and get a pic of it but on one side the cylinders looks like it bows out from under the top. Anyone had this problem before?

Back