• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500k high Voltages required?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Largo_npc

Registered
Firstly, I think I should mention that I've had issues with this system since receiving my new i5 2500k and P8P67 Deluxe MB: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674764

So anyway, I decided to start OCing. I've done some OCs on these setups before but using the Pro MB and I've managed to easily get a safe 4.6Ghz.

Now due to my problems previously mentioned, I decided to take one big step to an easily achievable target and then take small steps up to my target which is a minimum of 4.8Ghz and Max of 5Ghz.

I did try 4.8Ghz first at 1.35 vcore but got the BCCode 124, I tried a few tweaks and even tried copying some settings I found in a guide and tweaking those but just kept getting that 124 BSOD. I never went above 1.4 vcore though.

So I dropped it down to 4.5Ghz and a 1.3 vcore (Or 1.35, I can't remember but will find out later) which seems stable.

I've read that these CPUs have a thinner slice of silicon so the voltage shouldn't really go above 1.35 vcore. However, I've seen some people with vcores of around 1.45.

I'm using a CoolIt Eco, and at 4.5 Ghz, I'm getting temps of around 60 degrees, so I believe there is some room to increase the voltage slightly. The CoolIt isn't great tbh, I've tried to send it back a few times but they're having none of it.

I'm going to try increasing the multi to 47 and maybe increase the vcore slightly. The issue I have is that there is a lot of info out there and most of it contradicts each other.

Any help, advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fill out this BIOS template for the P8P67 Deluxe w/ all of your highest Prime stable settings...

Code:
AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
BCLK/PEG Freq = 100
Memory Frequency = 1600mhz
OC Tuner = Disabled
EPU Power Saving = Disabled
EPU Settings = Disabled
Dram Timing Control = SPD
Internal PLL OverVoltage = Enabled 

CPU Power Management
CPU Ratio - Manual
Turbo Ratio = By All Cores
By all cores = 50
Turbo Mode = Enabled
Load Line Calibration = Ultra High 
VRM Spread Spectrum = Disabled
VRM Frequency = Manual
VRM Fixed Freq Mode = 370
Phase Control = Extreme
Duty Control = T.Probe
CPU Current Capability = 120%
Dram Voltage = 

CPU Voltage = Manual - 1.400v
All other voltages = Auto

Advanced -> CPU Configuration Page
CPU Ratio = 50
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor = Enabled
Hyper-Threading = Enabled
Active Processor Cores = All
Limit CPUID Maximum = Disabled
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Speedstep = Disabled
Turbo = Enabled
C1E = Enabled
C3 = Disabled
C6 = Disabled

Just got a 4.7Ghz OC and it seems pretty stable, it's been 3 hours now so will see how goes over the next 24 hours.

Here's the settings:

4.7Ghz

Code:
AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
BCLK/PEG Freq = 100
Memory Frequency = 1600mhz

EPU Power Saving = Enabled
EPU Settings = Auto

Internal PLL OverVoltage = Auto

CPU Power Management
CPU Ratio - Manual
Turbo Ratio = By All Cores
By all cores = 47
Turbo Mode = Enabled
Load Line Calibration = Ultra High 

VRM Frequency = Auto

Phase Control = Extreme
Duty Control = T.Probe
CPU Current Capability = 120%
Dram Voltage = 1.5

CPU Voltage = Manual - 1.400v
All other voltages = Auto

Advanced -> CPU Configuration Page
CPU Ratio = 47
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor = Enabled

Active Processor Cores = All
Limit CPUID Maximum = Disabled
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
Speedstep = Disabled
Turbo = Enabled
C1E = Auto
C3 = Auto
C6 = Auto

MY 2500K will boot and wprime 4.5GHz at 1.3v but it needs 1.35 for stability in all applications (like Vantage and superpi). after 4.5GHz the voltage requirements go up pretty sharply, and I needed 1.55+ to bench at 5.25 GHz

4.7 Was stable.
4.8 crashes with a 124 after an hour or so. Put the voltage up to 1.415 and it seems to be table although very nearly hitting 80 degrees. It is getting quite hot here now though, so once I find my limit I will drop the OC for the summer anyway.

Back