• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

massive dip in hdtune with new hard drive spinpoint f3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ronanc

Registered
Hi all,

my old hdd died so I stuck a brand new spinpoint f3 1tb in,

made sure no running programs,windows indexing disabled etc.. ran hdtune pro and I am getting massive dips in hdtune, this is not normal for spinpoint?

Attachments

• f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 564
Is that your Windows drive? If so, that is normal.

Whether you want it to or not, Windows will use the drive when it wants.

thanks for your reply, I have never had a drop like that on the old drive (that was boot drive too)

also seek time seems way off manfactures spec, seek time has been as high as 16.6 on some test runs :shock:

ok let the drive run since last done test, ideling, ran a couple more tests and recorded the last one, seek times is waaaaaay off :argue:

Attachments

• f3a.jpg
    f3a.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 467
The ratings on the white sheet are probably optimal (peak). Not to mention, you are using the drive as you are benchmarking it, which is going to skew results even further. Unless the drive is completely failing, don't worry about it.

Normal but aggravating, always bench a new drive with nothing on it on a running pc, to get a good graph...

heres one off my apps slice intel enter the matrix style....check out the perf....

8ms reads and 200mbs across the board, with a naasty burst speed!

Attachments

• 22-April-2011_21-47.png
    22-April-2011_21-47.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
In bios, do you have the storage interface option set to IDE mode or AHCI?

hey, set to ahci, i ran the os on seperate drive and im now getting more consitant readings, no dips, but the seek time is still 14.6, why is it that high for a blank hdd and running in ahci mode?

update,

I have determined the fastest area to be the first 200 gig, so I repartitioned the drive for the first 200 gig to be partition 1 and the remaining as storage partition, much better results lol, ordered another drive and will raid these and update again :soda:

Attachments

• hdtune1.jpg
    hdtune1.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 442
In synthetic benchmarks, you will see a difference. Beyond that, partitioning a single drive isn't really worth it.

In synthetic benchmarks, you will see a difference. Beyond that, partitioning a single drive isn't really worth it.
+1 dont waste your time doing that. Its going to be the same no matter where you draw the line in teh sand.

Someone did some decent article on raid and partitioning it. Sadly the article shows no real world gains on it (wasnt tested) but the reality of it is there are mostly none unles you atart filling the drive.

Back