• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When looking for good customer service, what do you want?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mepis

It's been a long time since I've posted a thread, but I still browse the forums once in a while. I posted this question in another forum as well, but am looking for a broad spectrum of feedback, So here it goes...

I've been informed, via work, that I must put together a report of what would improve customer satisfaction and the customer experience.

Obviously I have my own ideas, none of which upper management really enjoys. But I would love to get opinions form other users.

Now, I realize that OCforums may not be the best place to ask. Most of us know how to resolve our own issues, and when having to visit a device support center just want the product exchanged, quick and clean. With that being said, try and make your suggestions geared towards if you didn't know your device, or if it was for an electronic gadget you didn't know, or what your friends and family have expressed.

Please be as detailed as possible. It would be nice to see specific requests and what consumers specifically want to see. Do you want in depth answer? Do you just want your problems solved? What nuances would make the experiences better, ex- coffee in the lobby, types of magazines, interactions, children's play areas, etc...

How much time would you be willing for a transaction, keeping in mind we have to troubleshoot the issue. What would be acceptable and what wouldn't be. Do you prefer someone that jokes around, or someone that doesn't.

Any very specific details as to what YOU would want to see, how you want people to act, what information you want to be given and what you don't. If you want, go ahead and write a novel for your preferred customer service interaction experience with in depth details.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is too late for help? As you say I solve my own problems, but I work as IT support guy.

but I work as IT support guy.
I do as well. I will help if you need assistance.

Specifically, I support our proprietary software programs. Meaning, people have to come to us to get their problem solved. In addition to taking incoming calls, I'm frequently given hot callbacks from team lead/managers so that the problem actually gets fixed. So, I see both sides of the spectrum.

Honesty and a good attitude speak far better than "just getting to the point" technical knowledge in my book. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten frustrated with people who clearly know what they're talking about but can't explain it in a positive or supportive way. This goes the same for colleagues as well as technical experts. If I can't joke with someone or feel comfortable talking to them I'll likely never call back. To some companies, this may be the desired effect however.

As a customer, however, I expect the person I call to know what they're talking about. Truth be told, that's not as important as long as they make me think they know what they're talking about. If I don't have faith in someone's ability to help me it just leads to more frustration - even if their answer or fix is technically accurate.

What really burns me is when I call a professional support desk for help and they either give me just the bare minimum advice "to get me by". All that happens here is I consult online forums and blogs for fixes. Conversely, if someone is not so tech savvy or doesn't know good resources (read: parents, extended family, anyone you have ever regrettedly told that you built a PC), the same thing happens after they call me or someone they know that does have appropriate resources.

Honesty and a good attitude speak far better than "just getting to the point" technical knowledge in my book. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten frustrated with people who clearly know what they're talking about but can't explain it in a positive or supportive way. This goes the same for colleagues as well as technical experts. If I can't joke with someone or feel comfortable talking to them I'll likely never call back. To some companies, this may be the desired effect however.
This is actually a somewhat inverse response than what I would be expecting. As I said, I deal with hot customers quite often, and I do two things that get them calmed down very quickly. First, I say that I will follow through with this as much as I can to get it fixed (and provide contact information to back that up) and then actually fix it. I dislike "small talk" while on the phone and my main goal is to get them up and running as quick as possible. If I waste time talking to the customer about non-important subjects, it wastes the time of other customers and of the company. If I'm waiting on something to finish, then I don't have a problem doing it, however. It definitely has a time and place.

As a customer, however, I expect the person I call to know what they're talking about. Truth be told, that's not as important as long as they make me think they know what they're talking about. If I don't have faith in someone's ability to help me it just leads to more frustration - even if their answer or fix is technically accurate.
This is also backwards to what I'd be expecting. Personally, when I call someone up, I expect them to know the product or get me to someone that does. I've talked to "technical support" before that basically said what sounded good, and I would have been inclined to believe it had I not know they were full of it. I apply this to my job. I strive to learn more about our products and put it in situations that we many not normally see. I've learned a lot in the time I've been with my company.

What really burns me is when I call a professional support desk for help and they either give me just the bare minimum advice "to get me by". All that happens here is I consult online forums and blogs for fixes. Conversely, if someone is not so tech savvy or doesn't know good resources (read: parents, extended family, anyone you have ever regrettedly told that you built a PC), the same thing happens after they call me or someone they know that does have appropriate resources.
If they give an answer "to get me by", this is called "swinging a call". Giving the shortest possible answer to get the customer off the phone as quick as possible. It makes their stats look better and they think that it helps out the customer when in reality, it doesn't. I've dealt with this a few times when trying to get a working laptop from a not-to-be-named company. Sitting on hold for 45+ minutes and being told to flash my BIOS and call back (when I've done it twice already) isn't going to fly. I do know of a few technicians where I work that do this and customers absolutely hate it.

I dislike "small talk" while on the phone and my main goal is to get them up and running as quick as possible. If I waste time talking to the customer about non-important subjects, it wastes the time of other customers and of the company. If I'm waiting on something to finish, then I don't have a problem doing it, however. It definitely has a time and place.

I agree with you about the small talk, but I think it can be helpful, especially when working with technology. Specifically, things like you stated before when you're waiting for programs, etc. to do their thing. Kinda sucks to have that awkward first date silence.

I strive to learn more about our products and put it in situations that we many not normally see. I've learned a lot in the time I've been with my company.

YES!! This is why you're likely better than most reps I speak to.

When I am talking to support. Usually it is a person I have no clue who they are and what they are working with. Same goes for them.
Establish a repertoire.

Many people call in claiming to be experts.
Some are flat out just idiots. Some can handle themselves, even if they are asking for support.
Treat the incident as unique, not as everyone who calls is a jackass and does not know where a power button is. (Some need the help finding the power outlet plug.) Actually LISTEN to the steps they took to get to support.. Not have the repeat the steps they took.

One thing I despise and will get pissy about. Is being rude and dishonest.
So don't treat me like an idiot and lie or cover issues. If you cover an issue and then get all crappy with me, expect me to get very creative in my wording. Possibly even replaying the part I am not happy about.. Ohio is a one party state... (I understand the challenges of taking calls and the chaff you go through.) Just be forward and be honest. If I even suspect your trying to pull a fast one, expect me to be pissy. I want the call over as fast as you do, in fact, faster. I got more time on keyboard than you do after the call. Then trying to get paid.

Not every issue can be fixed over the phone or through text. A simple, I will try my best to help you. If not, "I got some options we can do past this encounter." .. And actually make it happen. With a confirmation the ticket was sent.

Give rookies the ability and thought to ask experienced CS or a way to ask hard question and punt it to them. This is where being honest comes in. If I know I am being punted to experienced staff. I am cool with that.

Last of all. If someone calls on behalf of an account. Please help them do their thing and not give a hard time. Usually, when i call on behalf of someone. I mention I am helping and summarize the steps I taken prior to the call. Don't be dumb and treat me like an average person. I am on a call myself and helping a client as you are. Trying to get familiar with a product. Waste my time just sours everyone's experience. Especially the actual client who is listening in on the call or on one side of it.

Last edited:
Back