• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 590, 580, 570 ect. or wait for GTX 600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

[SOLVED] GTX 590, 580, 570 ect. or wait for GTX 600

I was doing some thinking, and rumors are that the GTX 600 series will be coming out soon. Seeing as how the GTX 590 can preform slightly worse than two GTX 580s I am thinking that a single GTX 600 may out preform two GTX 580s. If anyone wanted to have a little debate on this that would also be appreciated. But I am defiantly doing an Nvidia surround setup with 3 monitors. Would it be smarter to snag a GTX 590 in stead of a couple of 580s and just wait for the 600 series, or even get two cheaper cards than the 570 and put them in sli for surround, or just go with the 580s?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
I doubt that, knowing nvidia the 6** series will go something like this.
460-> 560 -> 660
470-> 570 ->760
480 ->580 -> 680
??? -> 690 -> 690

Although I heard somewhere its more like
470 -> 560
480 -> 570
xxx -> 580
Not sure which one is the correct one

So a 660 might not outperform the 570.
Btw, this is just my speculation, based purely off history.

Also, by soon its autumn or onwards, I hope they will be out before BF3.

I would go with 580s, rock solid cards.

Last edited:
I was originaly going to go with a GTX 590, as it is cheaper than 2 580s, then in the future add a second 590. Is this a better or worse idea then getting 2 580s?

But I would really rather go with an Nvidia product.

EDIT: And as soon as I say that no more replies :p

Last edited:
Nvidia is great and all, I like nvidia , and ati.
But you cant beat benchmarks, the 6990 kills the 590.
If you want to go nvidia, go for a 580 or 2.

I wouldnt say kills, they exchange blows. Depends on the game. For some reason wheatly's voice from portal 2 comes into mind when you said that XD
But yes I am now looking at 2 580s for 3 monitors

Ok so dillema: The GTX 580s can go faster than the 6990, but have less memory which is important for multiple monitors....hmmmmm

Last edited:
Look at the benchmarks, if you want high levels of AA a 6990 + 6970 beats 2 gtx 580s at a lower AA setting. All at the same price. It makes no sense to go nvidia for multi-monitor gaming unless you have the cards with more memory, like the 3gb gtx 580s.

Just found the specs on it, two of these in SLI would blow away any card on the market O_O Cant seem to find a price though

EDIT: The price is $630. I think that is way out there. A 6990 is basically 2 of these cards and costs about 70 bucks more. Will I notice a huge difference between 2 580s at 1.5gb vs the 6990 at 2gb?
This will pretty much decide what I am getting, so 2gb vs 1.5gb for only 3 monitors, huge difference???

Last edited:
So a 660 might not outperform the 570.
Btw, this is just my speculation, based purely off history.

I think 660 is more potent than 570 and 670 more potent than 580. I believe it because the manufacturing process (28nm) is totally different this time and the jump should theoretically be much larger than the previous which wasn't changed 40nm process.

This is only a speculation but i think we can see from AMD are comparing 7970 with 590 (single vs dual GPU).
I also believe that this is triggered when u consider the difference in overclock with these manufacture processes.

Also is possibly that not improve 28nm until cards series 700.

AMD 7970 Benchmarks - note that no overclock (theoretically what else is going to improve)

Sorry for my English.

NVidia_GPU_Roadmap.png

Currently its pure speculations. I hope we gonna see that stuff soon, and not so much paper on the table. Besides, 2011 has passed already, so where is the Kepler?

Last edited:
I got 560's in SLI and am waiting for the kepler to decide anything. I heard a rumor that it will use the PCIx3.0, hope I don't need a new mobo to take full advantage of the next gen of cards. But this question was answered long ago, the title probably just brings it up when you search for GTX 600. I will put the solved mark on it.

EDIT: Weird it won't let me...

I would just wait till the 600, for now get yourself an older gpu and play games that came out years ago, have the money in hand, when you do get that 600 card it will be worth it!

Back