• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does one still need VIA 4-in-1 drivers w/ XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan

Just wondering if I still need to install the VIA 4-in-1s when using XP Pro. Thanx.

4-in-1's

How about with Win 2k? I used 4.37, but now that my HDD is dying and I'm going to be reinstalling everything on a new drive.... will 4-in-1's help or hurt?

I heard that they can cause problems with XP, but I don't have XP so I can't say for sure.

i have xp, and i installed the 4 in 1's, im not sure if the is a diffrence, i never compared benchmarks, but if they hurt preformance it definitaly isnt noticible

heatsink suggestion

cjlax5:

Millenium Glaciator 2 for your new HSF. Maybe a thermaltake volcano 7+... I just read some very favorable reviews on that one, all copper, 70mm, 3-speed fan...

Or if you can stand an incredibly loud and annoying Delta fan, get an Alpha pal or a Swiftech

Last edited:
The 4-1 drivers are for the motherboard, not for the OS. XP does contain via drivers but you should install the ones that came with the motherboard or the latest from the Via website. However if everything is working fine just leave it as is, normally they recommend only installing the updated drivers if you are having a problem that the updated drivers might resolve.

I had a lot of problems with the 4.15, but the 4.17 seems to be very stable. I definatly recomend it, it increased my video speed a lot, even though there is no gart driver for 2k/XP.

Just wondering, does anyone get more that 1x agp in 2k/XP with a via chipset? I have to use pstrip to get mine to 2X, the via inf driver for 2k/XP doesn't make mine 2X.

Back