• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you upgrade on my rig for $600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chihlidog

I have a hard budget of $600 to play with. Actually, $550, but I have a $50 Amazon gift card I can throw in the mix as well.

I only get to do a build every 3-4 years so I want to make sure I do it right. IF I buy a 2500k and a motherboard, I could increase that budget by selling off my current mobo/cpu combo. Before I bought this system I kinda had it all planned out but now I really am not so sure.

I game but only at 1600x900. Im definitely not running into any preformance issues with this rig but there are a few things Im thinking

1) Futureproofing. A 2500k makes me drool and should last a good while - even if it is significantly outperformed by Bulldozer (I doubt it) then it's still a plenty fast CPU and should serve me well for quite some time.

2) Possible selloff. If I upgrade now, my board any CPU are still worth a bit of change. If I wait a few months, that value goes down a lot I bet.

3) Need for speed. We all know how that goes. I might never use all the speed my rig has but it's cool to pound your chest and know it's there.

I dunno, what do you guys think? I do have a crappy keyboard, I thought about using this money to splurge on a really nice gaming one and keeping the hardware for a long time. I've thought about just doing a GPU upgrade as well, but at 1600x900 the 6950/6970 seem like overkill. And of course the mobo/cpu upgrade. I could do a lot with 600 to this rig but is it really worth it?

OPTION 1:
I would get a new PSU and another HD 5850, and then use what was left to get a cheap 1080p monitor. That i5 should keep you going for a couple more years.

The next upgrade I would do (a year or so two down the road) would be a new mobo and processor.

And after that, I would upgrade the graphics cards.

OPTION 2:
Get a new processor and mobo. Sell the old ones and use that money to get a better PSU. Sell your old PSU and save up to get another 5850.

Later on you can get a 1080p monitor.

Last edited:
To xfire the psu is fine. He should grab a 1155 system so he can upgrade when he wants.

Very true....

I would buy an i5 2500k, 1155 mobo, and 1080p monitor. Then I would sell the old processor/mobo/monitor and get a GTX 560 / HD 6950, and then sell the old one and save up for another new one (assuming two of them wil run with a 750 watt psu).

To xfire the psu is fine. He should grab a 1155 system so he can upgrade when he wants.

Yeah I wasnt too worried about my PSU and I was thinking the same thing, get the 1155 board now while the sell prices on my current hardware are still pretty good. BUT, this rig is undeniably fast and honestly I just wonder if I should save the cash till my next build. Decisions decisions.

I say you should save your rig until later on in the future. Donate it =) then build a new one. New things are always nice.

:thup:

We always think the exact same thing :santa:. I was going to sugges these parts. Also factor in an aftermarket cooler if you don't have one you can use already (any 1156 cooler works on 1155)

The one I'm currently using (the Kuhler) keeps my temps really nice, I planned on using it for any 1155 build.

Back