• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happened here? (hard drive up in smoke)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nysze

Registered
Ok this is a long story ending in my hard drive going up in smoke right in front of me, i'll try to keep it short, if you need additional info just ask there were some other details I may be leaving out.

MB: MSI 785GT-E63
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055t
HD: WD800JD
PSU: Ultra ATX ULT-VX500 500W Power Supply

Ok so I bought a new Phenom II processor for my current Mobo, before I had been using an Athlon x2 cpu. The new CPU is compatible (AMD & MSI state), but everything was running horribly, at first my software RAID disappeared and windows could not recognize the drives, windows files would not open, etc, I tried to load the recovery CD, but it would hang up at "Windows is loading steup."

I put the old CPU back in and everything seemed fine, the raid was still destroyed, but I could run checkdisk, and recovery counsole without freezes, as soon as I put the Phenom back in all went to hell again. I was suspecting a faulty CPU so I called AMD, during troubleshooting he mentioned that there was a wattage difference between old chip and new (65w vs 125w), but after probing some hardware questions he dismissed it (I have an 8800gt which is good on power 105w, 3hds, and 1 dvdrw), I was curious on the watts though so I checked on a few PSU calculators and 500w seems suffifient.

Anyways just to double check I removed the video card and used the onboard video, voila, the Phenom is working perfectly, so it seems as though my PSU is going bad or I am drawing more watts than it seems I am.

I re-arrange my psu cords to make sure too much stuff isn't on 1 line (rail?) and then one of my HDDs (the HD800JD) was not being displayed in bios, i double checked connections, still no display. I removed the drive from the case to listen to it (power off in between) it was not spinning, I sat the drive on the case (after a power off) to listen again and instantly smoke from the HD and burning smell (when I sat it on the case the circuit board side was up and not touching metal, also the bottom is plastic so I'm fairly confident I did not short the HDD with the case, although the timing is fishy).

Well now everything works, Phenom is running fine, and I'm having to reinstall my OS right now, after that I'll do some stress testing.

My suspicion is that the drive was failing and drawing way more power than it needed, which lead to the other drives failing (as they where on the same power line), and dragging extra watts, but not enough that it showed up till I loaded it with the other CPU.

Although this theory has a flaw, in that previous to installing the CPU everything ran fine even under heavy load (much more watts being pulled by the CPU/GPU).

Sorry for the long post, but What Happened Here??

I would say the PSU was struggling to deliver enough power under the new chip. The wattage rating on no name PSUs means very little - it may say 500W, but that doesn't mean it won't go goofy and fry components if you ask it to deliver 300-400W.

It was possibly the PSU that was putting out dirty power, and the HDD was the first component to fail at handling it.

Can't say for sure, could have been the HDD failing and coincidental timing... However HDDs don't fail when upgrading your system, power supplies often do.

And welcome to the forums. :)

Back