• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok stuck what Rad? Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

charles1

Registered
Alright you can see my build im my stat page.

Thing is now I am stuck, my gpy w/b is coming and I dont know what rad would fit my needs.

Currently I have a Black Ice Extreme 120mm rad just for the cpu/heatkiller 3.0 with a 1200 rpm stock lian li Fan. The temps are great today was a very warm day (95F) and the cpu never got hotter than 143F with prime running for an hour.

So I am happy with the rad but adding the gpu to the loop will add more heat. With that said I am reading a lot and im hearing about certain rads needing high rpm fans to be used with, others say the thicker the rad the less the fan has to spin. Which is good because it equals to less noise.

My requirements are as follows I want the rad to be good at cooling with low rpm and then when I wear my headphones push the rpm's to 2000 rpms. At nights or when not gaming I would like the fan to drop to 800-1100 rpm.

With that said I have picked out these rads and set ups

replace my 120 extreme with a HW Labs Pro II or a 240 stealth and then adding a 120 mm pro 120mm on the exhaust port of my case with a 120 slim fan.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=36_408&products_id=27033

I dont want extreme performance I am not planning to OC my GPU and my CPU will only be pushed to 3.4Ghz only since I dont see the need to push it even more.

or would a single 240 stealth or a single 240 ice pro handle the cpu and gpu?

The gtx rad is out of the question since they are for extreme performance and the SR-1 rads are just a little bit to much if i can get away with a pro, stealth or extreme.

I trully would like the extreme rad but it hard to find a blue one now in days so thats why i didnt mention it.

thanks.

Fans wise i plan to replace the 2 front fans with coolermaster 2000 rpm fan with blue led's and adding 2 pull fans open to suggestions

the two rears with 2 http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=36_408&products_id=27033

I stumped and that why i havent been able to continue my build LOL

143F? Whats that in C? We usually use C.

The stealth rad is very old in design and I suggest you don't consider it as is the pro. You want neither of them.

You need the heatload of your card.
http://www.overclockers.com/guide-deltat-water-cooling/
It's right there is the sticky, just do some thinking on your own.

The slim fan you mention has NO pressure, so it will be a terrible choice for ANY rad fan.

You want low noise I'd get a 120x3 like the XSPC RX or the Black Ice SR-1 series. You'll never have to turn the fans up past 1200 RPM, ever. And it gives you room, well just about enough room to add a second GPU in Xfire.

143F is 61C sorry im in the US we dont use C but I always use both when I post woops.

Ok conumdrum if you look i cant use the 120.3 configuration space on case and second dont plan on gutting it to make room for a 3 fan rad.

ok sounds good then i will get a sr1 240 or extreme 240. thanks again

Well we use C for CPU, GPUS etc for as long as I remember, and am in the US for the last 51 years. It's the standard for PC's.

Funny thing is, when I express my ambient air temps, I'm prone to say 80F, but then state my CPU temps in C. Like most of us do here.

Physics don't care that it won't fit.

Good luck with the 240, it hopefully will be enough. You should get the GTX, high FPI one and some decent fans for when your crankin out the heat.

yeah im doing the thermal math and it looks like i have to go with the a gtx or xspc high performance 240 rad with 1500-2500 rpm fans

Funny thing you saying physics, cuz i busted out the college physics to pull out some thermal equations.

The GTX starts to pull away at higher RPMs. You might need that since your only using a 120x2 rad.

Do close comparisons to Skinneelabs.com and umm, Martins site.

On Martins, use the archive in the upper right. Skinnee should have all you need, but these two sites are ones to keep, forever, besides this one.

yeah thanks read and re read and did the math. Looks like gtx or the xspc all copper rad.

yeah im open to others now but i hate swiftech rads, looks wise that is.

yeah thanks read and re read and did the math. Looks like gtx or the xspc all copper rad.

yeah im open to others now but i hate swiftech rads, looks wise that is.

Swiftech is unbeatable in terms of price/performance, which seems to be a major focus for you. How about XSPC or thermochill? Much more oriented at low speed fans

Back