• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant OC i5 2500k to 4,5 o.O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schisch

heya, i have a "little" problem with reaching 4,5GHZ, means i cant even OC above 4,4ghz
im running 4,4GHZ just fine and stable.

latest bios is installed.

700Watt be quiet! PSU
CPU fan/heatsink: Scythe Katana 3
gfx: GTX560 TI
ram: 4GB(dual channel 2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 1333
motherboard: msi p67a-c43
some old 500gb samsung HDD..

Temps: Idle: 30°C, core0 is at 35°C (dont know why), prime95: max temp is 51°C

settings:
PLL Voltage: auto
PCH Voltage: auto (MSI Control Center says: 1.05v)
Vcore: 1.26
RAM: 1333, 1,5v

enabled: Execute Disable Bit, Intel Virtualization Tech and C1E Support
disabled: EIST, Limit CPUID Maximum, Power Technology, Spread Spectrum and OverSpeed Protection.

.. as soon as i boot up with an 45x (4,5ghz)
it looks like the PC freezes at the windows flag thing.. so i have to reset and set it down to 4,4ghz :mad:
switching the IDE mode to ACHI does not help, HPET is enabled there

some can help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had To enable pll overvoltage to get passed 4.4 on mine

I would guess you need more vCore. Manually set all voltages in the BIOS to their "normal" settings too, "Auto" usually uses too much and especially on Sandy Bridge, too much of some voltages causes instability. CPU PLL "Normal" is 1.8v and PCH is 1.05v.

Do you have a setting for "Internal CPU PLL Override?"

CPU PLL voltage override is on auto,
i tried to give it vcore 1,32v but it still freezes at the windows flag

Change it to ENABLED.

Try raising vcore to 1.4 for giggles.

Do one of these at a time so you know which corrected the issue.

alright, im trying it ;) will edit this post in a few minutes

----

woot its working, thank you all :D
vcore is still at 1,32 (cpu-z says Core Voltage 1.352 v)

it was the override thing

next thing i try is to get the vcore as low as possible..

--

ok, running it at 1,28v and 67°C under prime. i think its okay.. but its the limit with my cooling i think..

thank you all :)

Last edited:
CPU PLL = Many thanks Great Advice

Hi All
Registered here just to say Many thanks to all who said enable CPU PLL in bios to get past 4.4ghz
Had been pulling my hair out not able to get past 4.4ghz it would not even get past bios at 4.5ghz Am now running 4.8ghz at 1.43v idle 38c max 60c
Now i have only just set this up and quickly run cinebench 11.5 got a 7.51 score and i know i have not exactly tested for stability via prime95 intel burn test etc it might not even be stable but i had to post to say thanks after reading this thread as now i know its not a ram issue or bad board or chip

:attn:

dang im good ;) lol atleast i wasnt the only one stuck at 4.4 some were stuck as high as 4.8 and it made me jelly because my chip will only do 4.9 :'(

Back