• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Issue with onboard Audio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XC99TF00

Registered
So I recently purchased a SSD (Zalman S 128GB) and installed it in my machine. I decided to shift Windows 7 over to this, rather than continue to have it sit on the slower WD Black I had it on. I simply decided to disconnect the two WD HDD, and attach the new SSD and then reload Windows and all the corresponding programs onto the machine. This went fine, and all the programs are up and running great.

However, I've tried loading and unloading the Realtek HD Audio drivers several times, and continue to get no audio from either the front mounted headphone jack that is connected to the motherboard, as well as no audio output from the jacks on the backside of the motherboard (adjacent to all the USB andethernet ports). Now I've plugged in different things, from two pairs of headphones to an audio out to my monitor, and while I get no audio, the system and Realtek software is recognizing that something is plugged into these output jacks. I've searched around and tried a variety of things to no avail, and so I finally have given up on my experimentation and am seeking advice.

As a side note, I checked the Bios and made sure that Azalia(sp?) was enabled, so that it was defaulting to the audio out from the motherboard. Also, since I forgot to include it, the motherboard is a Gigbyte X58A-UD5, with stock settings setup on it for the time being. If you need any additional info, just let me know. Thanks in advance!

This may be a bit obvious, but is it possible you bumped something a little too hard while physically installing the drive?

Oh, congrats on the SSD by the way :p

Its onboard audio, there is no card to 'bump'. ;)

When you 'play' a sound do you see it 'jumping' on the meter? Is the volume turned up on main and in the realtek software?

Did you check in SOUNDS in windows that the realtek/azalia is selected?

I was thinking the possibility of the i/o port having been bumped, since it sort of sounds like a hardware issue rather than a software issue. I know what the realteks do when something is plugged in, the window comes up to let you know it sees it - but it sounds like the signal isnt getting OUT somehow.

Its onboard audio, there is no card to 'bump'. ;)

When you 'play' a sound do you see it 'jumping' on the meter? Is the volume turned up on main and in the realtek software?

Did you check in SOUNDS in windows that the realtek/azalia is selected?

I've checked all volume settings, including, the primary window's setting, the realtek setting, made sure the monitor volume was up, I'm 99% sure I checked in SOUNDS in windows, to make sure everything was selected appropriately (at work now, tough to do on the fly). I thought it might be a driver issue because of this, but I'm not sure.

I was thinking the possibility of the i/o port having been bumped, since it sort of sounds like a hardware issue rather than a software issue. I know what the realteks do when something is plugged in, the window comes up to let you know it sees it - but it sounds like the signal isnt getting OUT somehow.

I thought about the i/o port being bumped as well, given that they can be finicky sometimes. But, they were no where near where I was moving anything. The SATA connections are at the front of the motherboard (facing the front of the case), and the audio i/o is at the back. Additionally, the connection for the front mounted i/o jack is not adjacent to the SATA connections. I know the connection is good, as it recognizes when I plug in the audio device, whether it be the monitor or headphones. This is why I think there might be a driver issue, but reloading and trying different versions has not worked thusfar. Plus, I don't know what else there is to bump. All I did was add the Sata cable for the SSD and connect it to the power source.

Thanks again for the SSD too! Amazing the difference it makes!

Just to post a quick update, but I had to discard everything, and reload windows a second time, along with all the various drivers and programs. For whatever reason, this time it worked. A hassle, but much better than mistakenly RMAing a solid board. In any event, just wanted to let those of you know who had helped out with suggestions.

Thanks again!

Back