• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Cooling Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newman378

Registered
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a used custom computer. The setup is as follows:

CPU: i7 930 Revision D0 w/a CoolIt ECO push/pull
Mobo: EVGA X58 SLi LE
GPU: EVGA GTX 280 1GB
RAM: 3x1GB Corsair Dominator
PSU: Zalman 850W
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos-S
Fan Controller: Scythe Kama-Meter

Before:

He included 3 Apevia 120mm fans, pink with red LED's. I installed them as you can see below, but I am not too fond of them. The two fans not pictured in the front are a CoolerMaster 120mm fan at the bottom blowing in, and a Scythe Ultra Kaze above it also serving as an intake. I added a 120mm Antec Tri-Cool fan I had under the CoolIt ECO rad and set it on high. I also installed a 40mm fan I had collecting dust in the closet above the NB heatsink (it wouldn't fit underneath) which brought the temps down by almost 10 degrees (this thing is noisy at 8k+ RPMs!). Each of these is connected to a separate controller port. I took everything apart and rebuilt it, including re-seating the heatsink with some new AS5. CPU temps running Prime95 after 1 hour were 75-70 across all cores before my changes, and are now 55-50 respectively both with roughly ~21.5 degree ambient temps (stock settings, no OC, only change was SMART fan was disabled and manual values were set to 100%).

After:

I'm thinking of replacing all of the fans for several reasons:

1. The red LED's are annoying.
2. I'd like my push/pull fans to match.
3. I'd like ALL of my fans to match for that matter (RPM/speed/CFM/etc).
4. I'd like to be able to control all of my fans (the Apevia fans use the 4-pin molex connections).

I've heard a lot about the Yate Loons, as they seem to be a good bang for the buck fan. So I was thinking of replacing them all. I figured I could probably hook up the front two under one controller port, the push/pull fans on one port, the fans on either side on my radiator on one port, and the bottom intake/back exhaust fans under the other port. This would seem to give me good control/balance of my intake/exhaust from all ends.

I haven't looked up the specs on the controller but I'm just going to assume each port can handle 2 of those Yate Loons. Where can I find the best price for them? How does this seem to you all? Your opinions are appreciated! Thanks for reading!

-Matt

Edit: Also what about keeping my Scythe Ultra Kaze, and getting another one to use both as a push/pull config on my ECO rad, and using the Yate Loons for the rest of my fans? I don't know much about the electrical side of things, but maybe the controller can't handle two of those on the same port. Thanks!

Edit2: On closer examination, the Apevia fans have more CFM, static pressure, and the same dba...maybe I will just stick with them if they are actually better than Yates...or step it up a notch.

Last edited:
I'm not a Yate Loon hater, but they are almost always sleeve bearing fans.
Keep the fans you have, just work on their orientation. I'd suggest in at the front, exhaust at the rear/top.

I'm not a Yate Loon hater, but they are almost always sleeve bearing fans.
Keep the fans you have, just work on their orientation. I'd suggest in at the front, exhaust at the rear/top.

Ok, yeah that's how they are set. Front and bottom are in, back and top are out. Thanks =)

Back