• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help identify this fan wire for me please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cravinmild

Registered
I want to hook up 2x ultra kaze 3000 to my H70. I think that hooking them direct to the cpu header may cause excess stress and i fear for my mobo. I have heard that you can use the cpu header to control fan speed but use the psu for the main power for the fans. The fans came with this wiring harness and i think its the one i need to do what i need to do.

IMG_0070 by cravinmild, on Flickr

Does this look like i can hook up the yellow wire to the cpu and the fan to the red/black connector and the larger molex to the psu to power the fan. What i dont want to do is shoot voltage down the yellow wire and into my cpu header. I will have two fans (push/pull) so ill have two yellow wires in a splitter to the cpu header for dual fan control.

Please have a look and let me know

Thanks.

You can't control from the mobo header with the yellow wire, yellow wire is monitoring. If you want mobo control and PSU power you need pwm fans

would you be able to point me to a link in which i would be able to get the info as to how to make this wiring harness for two fans controlled my the cpu header but powered from the psu.

would you be able to point me to a link in which i would be able to get the info as to how to make this wiring harness for two fans controlled my the cpu header but powered from the psu.

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Motherboard_(CPU)_4_Pin_Fan
you want pin 4 to the fans and pins 1 and 2 from the psu. Pin 3 is rpm reporting, you don't need it, but run it to the mobo if you care

no. He said from the motherboard.

It would seem that cpu headers have 3amps available. Ive gone ahead and put both to the cpu header and removed the inline resisters. Fans are quiet and my temps have dropped to 18-19c idle with 76f ambiant. Damm things are big and cant wait to hear them kick in lol.

5673892215_da4d7189cb.jpg
IMG_0071 by cravinmild, on Flickr

and

5673892791_eb81ea86a6.jpg
IMG_0072 by cravinmild, on Flickr

Figured id update the post and call it problem solved......

It's not possible to have your idle speed actually lower than ambient when using an air cooler or a water cooler whose radiator is being cooled by room air. The temp sensor or the reporting software is not quite accurate.

You are correct, i am about 10c higher if you take into account the defect in the chip/with the chip.

28c idle would be a more acurate reading if i had to guess.

I love your case :) That's the AMD Red Dragon HAF 932 right?

Here is my case, just a HAF 932 :)

DSCN0258.JPG

Back